Gibson Brands Forums

Red Spruce J-45

nid2007

Hi,

I just bought a J-45 True Vintage Special Edition from guitar centre dallas. I was told it had a red spruce top and was a limited edition. but it came with no certificate. It cost $2799. There is one listed on Musicians Friend, but no photo with it. It plays great, but I also want to know more info about it. It has a special aged lacquer finish on it from the custom shop and is a lovely dark sunburst. But no special nut or bridge. I cant find any more details about it anywhere. I guess i'll have to contact Gibson direct. Do any of you know about this true vintage red spruce special, and should I have a special certificate with it?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I think it is the Guitar Center special edition I saw advertised in their brochure-that cause me to start the thread. (Been a long time, and I've since bought a Red Spruce top--but a different run).

Yours probably has a banner on the headstock, but no custom shop decal on the neck. I would not be surprised if there is no certificate (just a piece of paper anyway)>

Can't wait for my GC to get one in so that I can check it out. Sounds like a GREAT purchase.

Hi' date='

I just bought a J-45 True Vintage Special Edition from guitar centre dallas. I was told it had a red spruce top and was a limited edition. but it came with no certificate. It cost $2799. There is one listed on Musicians Friend, but no photo with it. It plays great, but I also want to know more info about it. It has a special aged lacquer finish on it from the custom shop and is a lovely dark sunburst. But no special nut or bridge. I cant find any more details about it anywhere. I guess i'll have to contact Gibson direct. Do any of you know about this true vintage red spruce special, and should I have a special certificate with it?

Thanks,

Paul[/quote']

Did you get that at the one on 75, downtown? If so, I saw that guitar. I went in to look at after I saw it advertised in the GC flyer a month or two ago. I had recently bought a J 35 with a red spruce top, so I was curious about the similarities or differences. Actually, I wasn't aware it was a TV when I went in, so I was expecting something similar to the Custom models some of the others have described, though with a darker sunburst. I was surprised by the aging treatment Gibson did on the laquer. I could be wrong, but I don't recall other TV models having aging like that.

I hope you enjoy your new Gibson!

Red 333

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

It does have a custom shop banner on it. I can't remember which branch of GC it was - but it was the only one with a special room for high end acoustics in the area. I love the finish - really love it. It is a bit dulled down - looks used and new at the same time. I checked a lot of guitars out in the shop including Martins. I was surprised by the mellowness and depth of tone of the J-45 but also how easy it was to play. I tried some Big Bill Broonzy and other fingerstyle blues picking and it really felt and sounded right. An authentic roots sound - This is my first Gibson! I have often regretted not buying a guitar I have played and liked in a store, so I just went for it then and there. I havent regretted it. Plus I was returning back to London that day and even at $2799 it seemed a good price in Sterling =D>

Do any of you guys think I should change the nut, bridge or pins, (to bone) or would that spoil the authenticity of the guitar?

PL

Archived