Gibson Brands Forums

Fender TBX Tone controls on your Gibson?

ibis

A little off the beaten track, but has anyone used Fender TBX tone controls of their humbucker equipped Gibson?

I know most of the Historic dudes are well into their replacement RS pots and bees but someone (a boutique pickup manufacturer) told me that the TBX's really work well. I have them in my (ahem..) Strat and they do what they claim... add or subtract treble whilst being passive.

I think the theory goes something like this; there are two concentric pots a 250k and a 1000k. Up to the centre detent, the control uses the 250k pot as normal (rolling off treble down to zero), whilst above the detent at 5 it switches to the 1000k pot which adds back the treble that the 250k pot was sucking out of the circuit.

Something like that anyhow.

Theory is all well and fine but has anyone got practical experience with TBX pots in a 2 humbucker equipped guitar?

Cheers,

ibis

Yes, it's nothing special. Your theory is somewhat correct... It's really a matter of your ear on this one, you could tune the capacitors of the TBX to concentrate on some of the different frequencies to limit, but overall I never left it in a guitar for more than a trial run...

After all of my messing around, I settled on "no load" pots that completely remove themselves from the signal chain and open the pickup right up - like a guitar with only a volume control. But then if you like you can roll back into tone land.

Archived