Gibson Brands Forums

335 tuners, what to do

sumner77

Hey guys. I spend most of my time on the acoustic forum, but my son has a problem with his 9 month old cherry red es-335. He bends a lot, and the tuners are nearly always out of tune.

Is this a typical issue with this guitar? Is it a warranty issue? Do we need a custom upgrade?

Thanks

99.99999999% of the time this is not a problem with the tuning machines. It is a problem with the nut being too narrow for the string gauges. First try some nut lubrication such as Nut Sauce, or graphite, or wax pencil. If this is a temporary fix for the problem, there is your diagnosis.

You can then just keep the nut lubricated, or have the slots widened.

Larry your the man. Way to talk the guy off the ledge.

Hey Sumner have you ever had it in for a pro set up? It can do wonders if Larry's suggestions don't help

BTW, I was playing my 335 last night and I still can't believe the tone I get out of it....just saying

Larry, after reading your suggestion I now recall someone saying that, and it makes all kinds of sense. Thanks man. Mark, I bought the guitar in NYC at Rudys, and they have a great shop, but it's a hike from where I actually live, in NJ. Will any authorized Gibson shop have enough of a "pro" to do a pro set up? I'm an acoustic player myself, but this guitar is sooooo sweet.

Will any authorized Gibson shop have enough of a "pro" to do a pro set up?

Noooo. not even close. Just because they're a dealer does not mean they're even an authorized warranty repair facility, and quite often they do have some joker who will give you a "free" setup when you buy the guitar. Not Rudy's, they're top notch, I'm talking about big box stores and some of the local music shops.

What you want to do is to check the list of authorized warranty repair centers - they're not the same list as the dealers.

Also the next time you see a local musician playing live, ask him or her where they get their setups and repairs done.

Archived