Gibson Brands Forums

Buzzing bridge

AlanC

I recently noticed a buzz when I played my ES 165. I initially thought the buzz was related to frets or neck or both. However when I looked more closely I noticed that the bridge seemed to be causing the buzz - maybe loose screws in the bridge if that makes any sense! So I replaced the bridge with a Schaller bridge. Now the buzz seems to have been eliminated and the sound seems great.

Anyone else had this problem??

The screw-retention wire on many ABR-1 bridges can have a tendency to rattle a bit at some frequencies. Some folks fix this with a dab of clear nail polish. Others carefully put a small kink in the wire between a couple of screws with the edge of a screwdriver -- that increases the tension/contact with the screws and can eliminate the buzz. It worked for me on my CS-356.

I heard about the nail polish thing after I did my fix, which I read about on the internet somewhere.

My buzz, I found, was caused by the wire (ABR) that was so old and stretched I guess. I took a guitar string (.019) and bent it into shape using the old wire as a template. Worked like a champ. Buzz gone.

I heard about the nail polish thing after I did my fix' date=' which I read about on the internet somewhere.

My buzz, I found, was caused by the wire (ABR) that was so old and stretched I guess. I took a guitar string (.019) and bent it into shape using the old wire as a template. Worked like a champ. Buzz gone.

[/quote']

Kool tip on replacing the Wire on an ABR.

Archived