Gibson Brands Forums

what kind of les paul is comparable in trade to my gibson sg standard 2001

dsesh

so... I am a fender man (please dont kill me) but have always wanted a gibson as well.

I recently got a gibson 2001 standard sg for a killer deal (450) with upgrades (and all original parts) and case paperwork everything.

I bought the guitar because it was a steal and I knew I might be able to trade it for a gibson les paul

Someone has offered me a les paul double cut away special faded... I am assuming its a studio which makes me think its not work it. I dont know the model number yet but the serial is says its a 2006

Remember I know almost nothing about gibsons..

What would be a fair les paul to trade for my sg or how much should I expect to get (in the case of a lesser guitar like the one i mentioned?) or how much extra I should offer for a les paul standard.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I've been seeing a ton of people on Craigslist thinking their SG's are worth like 950-1100, but you can buy a new SG for like 950 if you can work a little mojo. Generally, figure the SG is worth about $700 or so, depending on your upgrades, etc. Obviously if it's got EMG's its going to be worth more.

But yeah, your best bet would be a nice Studio. Or even an average one. I've found there's a ton of people that have been posting for trades on CL, but I've also run into a few idiots as well. Like dude wanting a full Marshall half stack for his 08 SG. Yeah---right. He claimed he paid $1700 for the guitar, new, so I told him next time he wanted to buy a new guitar to call me.

Good luck, tho. I think you'd be better off keeping the SG and saving up for a good Studio LP. You've got so little into the SG so you can play the shiv outta it.

It's always better to have it and not need it, then to not have it.

Archived