Gibson Brands Forums

Last few weeks M-R GIBS showed me several things.

MisterGibs

Did you have the same feeling, folks?

Years and years you play one or two laminate guitars and learn how to produce sounds by fingerpicking or strumming.

You learn techniques and assimilate those tecniques practicing hard (or not so hard ;-)...

You have a level of guitar playing and suddenly...

And one day you have in hands a fine guitar. Well I have my fine M-R GIB(an SJ 200 Custom Elite). You start to fingerpick and strum like before. In the first minutes you are so happy because of the different noble sound, but after 15-30-60 minutes or later you start to ask yourself - "DO I DO IT THE RIGHT WAY?"

It seems to you that the guitar starts to buzz a little and in the same time you don't have the feeling that you strum hard... You try to apply the strumming or fingerpicking techniques from the past, but it doesn't work good...

There is one moment when your lowing wife, who is jelaous of your new treasure asks you "...dear, are you sure you have to strum so hard? that NEW guitar anyhow sounds W E R Y S T R O N G and it is BUZZING..."

And this is the time you start to ask yourself - do I know what I have in hands?

It is not my old laminate Yamaha anymore.

This is a powerfull thing that needs other kind of behaviour

So you start to try... And....

AND one day you just realise that this is a real guitar and the others were only surrogates!

Yous check it out just to find that strumming in one place your real guitar gives you a sound and strumming only one cm. to the left or to the right it gives you a VERY different sound.

Even if you turn a little bit the pick in your fingers the sound changes amazingly...

That happened to me the last few weeks. M-R GIBS shoved me some tricks.

Did that heppened to you, guis? Or somebody showed you those techniques?

Did you have the same feeling' date=' folks?

Years and years you play one or two laminate guitars and learn how to produce sounds by fingerpicking or strumming.

You learn techniques and assimilate those tecniques practicing hard (or not so hard ;-)...

You have a level of guitar playing and suddenly...

And one day you have in hands a fine guitar. Well I have my fine M-R GIB(an SJ 200 Custom Elite). You start to fingerpick and strum like before. In the first minutes you are so happy because of the different noble sound, but after 15-30-60 minutes or later you start to ask yourself - "DO I DO IT THE RIGHT WAY?"

It seems to you that the guitar starts to buzz a little and in the same time you don't have the feeling that you strum hard... You try to apply the strumming or fingerpicking techniques from the past, but it doesn't work good...

There is one moment when your lowing wife, who is jelaous of your new treasure asks you "...dear, are you sure you have to strum so hard? that NEW guitar anyhow sounds W E R Y S T R O N G and it is BUZZING..."

And this is the time you start to ask yourself - do I know what I have in hands?

It is not my old laminate Yamaha anymore.

This is a powerfull thing that needs other kind of behaviour

So you start to try... And....

AND one day you just realise that this is a real guitar and the others were only surrogates!

Yous check it out just to find that strumming in one place your real guitar gives you a sound and strumming only one cm. to the left or to the right it gives you a VERY different sound.

Even if you turn a little bit the pick in your fingers the sound changes amazingly...

That happened to me the last few weeks. M-R GIBS shoved me some tricks.

Did that heppened to you, guis? Or somebody showed you those techniques?

[/quote']

I love reading your posts, man! Your words and observations have a real poetry about them.

Playing the guitar is a constant journey of beautiful discovery!

All the best to you my friend.

Matt

Archived