Gibson Brands Forums

mounting pickups yes or no?

warn1

I have read that the only way to go with a older guitar is to mic it. Now that seems to me to be a pain in the @ss to have to keep doing so is there any good recomenations out there that would not be intrusive? Is there a wireless type out there that is affordable? Thanks for reading this.

I have read that the only way to go with a older guitar is to mic it. Now that seems to me to be a pain in the @ss to have to keep doing so is there any good recomenations out there that would not be intrusive? Is there a wireless type out there that is affordable? Thanks for reading this.

I don't see how an end-pin jack with an under-bridge style pickup (LR Baggs iBeam) can be called intrusive. Most guitars with the exception of lapsteels and classicals are played with a strap and there has to be an endpin anyway. The iBeam can be removed with no evidence of it ever having been there. So what is the issue?

So the "old girl" doesn't have a strap button on the bottom of the guitar? If it does, there is already a hole (screw hole) in the guitar. A competent guitar tech can make the hole slightly larger to accomodate an endpin jack.

The M1 Active is a soundhole pickup that does not need to be permanently installed. If you do not install the endpin jack, the wire has to come out the front of the sound hole. The M1 is a magnetic pickup and will naturally sound more metallic than the iBeam. Of the magnetic soundhole type pickup, it is one, if not THE, best.

The LR Baggs iBeam is a pickup that installs under the bridge plate inside the guitar with double sided tape. If you want to remove it in the future, you just pull it out and it leaves no trace.

So the lj baggs m1 is the most popular pickup what about a Lace 07201 California Acoustic ...any one have any other favorites that they would like to recommend? I take it that the ibeam will soundmorre like a mic is that right?

The least invasive pickup system is the K&K pickup. It is three small transducers attached to the bridgeplate inside the guitar by removable adhesive or glued in . It can be wired to a Vintage jack which will fit the endpin hole. See the link below for the pickup and scroll down for the vintage jack link.

It is one of the most accurate acoustic reproduction systems around.

http://www.kksound.com/acousticguitar.html

DJ

I have a 2009 Martin HD-28V and I put in the K&K mini western pickup system, and I had the Vintage Jack installed. A great sounding pickup that didn't have to alter the guitar at all, and with the vintage jack there was no drilling the end block. It fit perfect and the sound is very natural.

Archived