Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Gonna Do it!

ledzep59

Well, I have changed my mind and thought the idea through as much as I can, and I have decided to get brazilian board on my R9. I finally realized that if I went ahead and did it then I would never have the doubt or wonder of "what if". I discussed the matter with the luthier (who runs a luthier school so I'm sure he'll so good work) and he quoted me $800 for the following:

brazilian board (hot hide glue used)

bone nut

stainless steel jumbo frets

tortoise dot side markers

cellulose nitrate inlays (like 50's style)

setup

The original quote was $700, but the steel frets added an extra 100. I was just seeing what y'all though about this. I am very excited.

Well' date=' I have changed my mind and thought the idea through as much as I can, and I have decided to get brazilian board on my R9. I finally realized that if I went ahead and did it then I would never have the doubt or wonder of "what if". I discussed the matter with the luthier (who runs a luthier school so I'm sure he'll so good work) and he quoted me $800 for the following:

brazilian board (hot hide glue used)

bone nut

stainless steel jumbo frets

tortoise dot side markers

cellulose nitrate inlays (like 50's style)

setup

The original quote was $700, but the steel frets added an extra 100. I was just seeing what y'all though about this. I am very excited. [/quote']

If it feels good do it!!! Many people may tell you not to touch your R9, leave it as it is. After all it is a R9.

Also you should know that Brazilian wood is protected and you will have to prove that this work was done using old existing stock obtained before the ban. If you can't prove it and your guitar is inspected while traveling it could be confenscated with no compensation. If you are never going to travel with the guitar it's not a problem.

Good for you sounds like something that's important to you' date=' make him show you the Braz first it can be very different in look and feel and if your gonna do it make it an amazing piece of wood...[/quote']

I was planning on it. I have already told him that I wanted a "killer" piece of wood.

There's a sleeve around your truss rod, often referred to as the truss rod condom.

Your LP has it, real bursts did not. You might as well have it removed.

How about the neck profile - is he going to reshape it for you?

Have a look at a Historic Makeover's Package A.

That's basically what you want.

There's a sleeve around your truss rod' date=' often referred to as the truss rod condom.

Your LP has it, real bursts did not. You might as well have it removed.

How about the neck profile - is he going to reshape it for you?

Have a look at a Historic Makeover's Package A.

That's basically what you want.[/quote']

Yeah, HM is what got me interested in the idea in the first place. I was planning on talking about the neck profile with the luthier, I am willing to do it, depending on the extra cost. Didn't really care to mess with the truss rod, but I'll discuss it with him when I drop the guitar off on Friday.

Archived