Gibson Brands Forums

why am i obsessed with ladder bracing?

mr newhaven

From Wikipedia ---- The tops of most steel string acoustic guitars are braced using the X-brace system' date=' or a variation of the X-brace system, generally attributed to Christian Frederick Martin between 1840 and 1845 for use in gut string guitars.[/i']

I really don't think the structural difference in terms of longevity between X bracing and Ladder bracing is that significant. When steel strings became popular both bracing patterns were beefed up to accommodate the extra stress. I believe the current predominance of X bracing is that X bracing is considered "modern" while ladder bracing has been associated with cheap archaic mass produced instruments and has simply gotten a bad reputation. Given that there are still hundreds of thousands of the old cheap ladder braced guitars still out there...it would seem a testament to their durability.

X bracing is associated with the "Modern" sound of the guitar while ladder bracing has an older less complex tonality. For many the lack of overly lush overtones and strong fundamentals produced by a ladder braced guitar can be great for fingerpicking (helps keep the picked melody separated from the alternating bass) along with giving blues and old time music a more authentic sound.

Just as currently the CD and MP3 are considered modern and are the industry standard.....there are still audiophiles who worship at the alter of vinyl and even reel to reel tape decks for the warm traditional sound quality they love.

PS. ---- markob ---- that sound clip is mighty fine....is that you playing and is that your YouTube channel?

The player is a friend and co-worker named Tom Owen. I play bass w/ him on occasion. We plan to do some clips together using my new/old 59 LG0. I'm not quite in his ballpark yet.

thanks everyone for the replies...good to see im not alone!

ill keep everyone posted as to what i do...and hopefully ill be able to provide some pics soon!

Good luck Mr NH ....I really do think anyone who is interested in acoustic blues really should have a small body ladder braced guitar in the arsenal !

Pictures are now Officially Required !!

Markob -- Is that YOUR youtube channel....I subscribed hoping it was because I would look forward to seeing you and your buddy when you post your new videos.

UPDATE!!!***!!*!*!*!*!*!!**!!

tomorrow morning my NEW GIBSON ARLO GUTHRIE LG 2 3/4 should be coming via UPS!

i looked at kalamazoo's and the laredo and a bunch of other ladder braced guitars...and I came back to the one that i have been bugging everyone on this forum for at least a year or so...

the lg 2 3/4...i cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Mr NH ....I really do think anyone who is interested in acoustic blues really should have a small body ladder braced guitar in the arsenal !

Pictures are now Officially Required !!

Markob -- Is that YOUR youtube channel....I subscribed hoping it was because I would look forward to seeing you and your buddy when you post your new videos.

Hey nodehopper. It's his channel but we will be using it together. Check out his Going to Utah on a nice James Watts dread cutaway. The boy has chops. I get my LGO back from my tech on the 30th and we should be putting some stuff up soon after.

Archived