Gibson Brands Forums

Recoloring a guitar

maltese_falcon

Hi guys, I have a question for ya'

A while back I bought a Gibson SG Standard as my other guitar weren't the best one for AC/DC songs.

Of course I secretly wanted the Angus Young Signature guitar, but I don't have that kind of money, besides I can't see why it should be that much better than an SG Standard.

So I like everything about my guitar except for the color, I bought a Heritage Cherry. But I would really like the dark blood red color like the one on the current Angus Young Signature Guitar:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Angus-Young-SG-Standard.aspx

Do you think I can get my guitar recolored? I presume a professional guitar builder would be able to do such a thing.

Hi guys' date=' I have a question for ya'

A while back I bought a Gibson SG Standard as my other guitar weren't the best one for AC/DC songs.

Of course I secretly wanted the Angus Young Signature guitar, but I don't have that kind of money, besides I can't see why it should be that much better than an SG Standard.

So I like everything about my guitar except for the color, I bought a Heritage Cherry. But I would really like the dark blood red color like the one on the current Angus Young Signature Guitar:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Angus-Young-SG-Standard.aspx

Do you think I can get my guitar recolored? I presume a professional guitar builder would be able to do such a thing.[/quote']

First off, its refinishing.

Secondly, you might not like how the guitar sounds when you get it back. Jimmy Page for example bought a Les Paul from someone who had it refinished, he sold it to Page because it sounded different.

Refinishing a guitar can be expensive.

paint has to be removed, paint applied, nitro laquer applied, buffed, polished etc etc .

'Refinish' okay, got it. English isn't my native language so I didn't know the exact word.

I think I should be able to find someone who can refinish it at a fair price, already found someone who offers a refinish service for a pretty good price. It's still expensive but it's cheaper than spending a fortune on a signature guitar.

It's something I could easily save up to over the years.

Didn't know that the sound could change, but how significant could it be? it is after all just a "paint job", albeit not a simple one.

Besides, I'm somewhat of a risk taker when it comes to these kinds of things. I like modifying my stuff, I find it just as much fun as playing the guitars themselves.

'Refinish' okay' date=' got it. English isn't my native language so I didn't know the exact word.

I think I should be able to find someone who can refinish it at a fair price, already found someone who offers a refinish service for a pretty good price. It's still expensive but it's cheaper than spending a fortune on a signature guitar.

It's something I could easily save up to over the years.

Didn't know that the sound could change, but how significant could it be? it is after all just a "paint job", albeit not a simple one.

Besides, I'm somewhat of a risk taker when it comes to these kinds of things. I like modifying my stuff, I find it just as much fun as playing the guitars themselves.[/quote']

I love to mod my stuff too, and if I had the opportunity, I would refinish my LP too..

Go for it then.

Be sure they put a Nitrocellulose laquer not polyurethane

Archived