Gibson Brands Forums

Another Wiring Question.

Andre S

I was planning to change the wiring in my Les Paul Studio, since a little after I got it, especially after I heard of rsguitarworks stuff.

I was wondering if I got this if I just take out the current metal plate and replace it with this one, or is the plate in the picture in the link just to hold everything in place? Then would the pots screw directly into the wood? and long or short shaft pots?

Coincidentally, I was just trying to put one of those in my Les Paul Standard faded today. My mother-in-law got me one for my birthday. Unfortunately, she got me short shafts, and I need long. Hoping they will exchange it with no problems. I'm not sure which you'd need for a Studio. It depends on the thickness of the maple cap. You can call them at 1-877-RSRELIC to ask. It looks like I'll be calling them as well to try to exchange mine for long shafts.

Oh, btw, the black plastic plate they come on is just for mounting and shipping purposes. You take the pots off of that plate and attach them to the one that is already in your LP and make the appropriate wiring connections. They will send you a schematic. It is usually slightly different from the current wiring since they usually wire theirs 50s style.

Coincidentally' date=' I was just trying to put one of those in my Les Paul Standard faded today. My mother-in-law got me one for my birthday. Unfortunately, she got me short shafts, and I need long. Hoping they will exchange it with no problems. I'm not sure which you'd need for a Studio. It depends on the thickness of the maple cap. You can call them at 1-877-RSRELIC to ask. It looks like I'll be calling them as well to try to exchange mine for long shafts.

Oh, btw, the black plastic plate they come on is just for mounting and shipping purposes. You take the pots off of that plate and attach them to the one that is already in your LP and make the appropriate wiring connections. They will send you a schematic. It is usually slightly different from the current wiring since they usually wire theirs 50s style. [/quote']

I'd use long. But it seems difficult to remove the pots off the gibson screening board ( I think thats what they are called).

Its a lot easier to remove the entire board. I could just attach them directly to the wood.

Its a lot easier to remove the entire board. I could just attach them directly to the wood.

Perhaps. However, many newer LPs (both of mine for example) have a little junction wired onto that metal plate that allows the switch wires and jack wires to hook up to a good ground. As such, you might have to add some wire to eliminate the plate altogether and make the run from the jack to the switch.

Perhaps. However' date=' many newer LPs (both of mine for example) have a little junction wired onto that metal plate that allows the switch wires and jack wires to hook up to a good ground. As such, you might have to add some wire to eliminate the plate altogether and make the run from the jack to the switch.[/quote']

Hmm, when I lowered the board into the cavity in an attempt to lower the height of the pots so that the knobs would be flush with the guitar top. I managed to do this but then, there was something rattling around in between the plate and the wood. So I tightened it back.

But as I said before, I can't get the pots out of that board because I have already tried.

On the front side of the plate - between the wood of the inside cavity and the plate. They hold the pots to the mounting plate. It is exactly like the setup RS sent you but on metal.

Oh, so you remove the entire plate, then remove the pots from the plate via the nut between the plate and the underneath of the guitar top?

Exactly. You will need to unsolder things to remove the plate, so make notes as to what color the leads from your switch are - you will need to send the right feed to each of the volume pots per the diagram RS sent you. Doesn't hurt to take a digital pic either - avoids confusion later on.

Exactly. You will need to unsolder things to remove the plate' date=' so make notes as to what color the leads from your switch are - you will need to send the right feed to each of the volume pots per the diagram RS sent you. Doesn't hurt to take a digital pic either - avoids confusion later on.

[/quote']

hmm, sound simple.

so if say I was installing a mini toggle for a piezo, would it be easy to drill through this plate?

Archived