Gibson Brands Forums

Brass bridge pins

fretplay

I have a set on my Gretsch Rancher cutaway. It was pretty muddy sounding. The brass pins helped clear it up a bit, but with a noticeable loss of some tone. I wont use them ever again. I did this before I "discovered" the wonderful world of bone bridge pins. Eventually, I'll just put bone on the Gretsch instead, when I have a few spare bucks sitting around to send to Colosi.

I have a set in my SJ200, and they added a little richness in the mids, whilst also making the guitar a touch brighter.

If that's what you're looking for, give them a go, but different pins affect different guitars in different ways...I really disliked the tone of Brass pins in my Hummingbird, but fitted Boxwood pins and it sounds incredible. I swapped out the stock plastic pins in my former Dove for ebony, but they really didn't suit the guitar and the stock pins went back in. Having said that, I love the ebony pins in my Guild.

I would buy a few sets and see what suits best. Experimenting with pins is one of few fun, low-cost way of tweaking your guitar and customising it to your specs.

Archived