Gibson Brands Forums

I'm A Man

Californiaman

No doubt one of the most recognized songs from the Spencer Davis Group.

Steve Winwood's key-work and command of the lyrics is incredible.

This is a great song for a guitarist.

Can you play it?

On any instrument.

Wasn't expecting a trombone solo.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

He's also a polished guitarist as you can see in the second video with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It's a good enough live bootleg video that shows some of his playing skills.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Look at the wall of Vox amplifiers The Heartbreakers are using here. Incredible.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

That was hot! Winwood is one of the most underrated guitar players ever. The trumpet player in the "I'm a Man" vid sounds like he comes from the Maynard Ferguson /Bill Chase of high register playing.

You've probably heard of Ferguson, but not Bill Chase so check it out. YOW!!!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I love that bass work and snappy drumming in open up wide. The keys are good too.

The bass player is really getting a work out in that arrangement.

And the guitarist in Get It On is earning his money too.

I'd hate to be in ear shot when one of those horn players wants to get your attention!

Yeah, man! Chase ROCKS! My father had the album and I listened to it constantly when I was a kid so it really grew on me. Their self titled first album "Chase" is where the two songs in the videos I posted are from. After that, they put out two other albums called "Enya" and "Pure Music" but I didn't care for them as much as they were starting to get pretty weird and sort of psychedelic (rumor has it that that band was fueled by lots of coke).

Archived