Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Artist

Zabe

Hey Does any one have a video of them playing the hummingbird artist? There are a lot good reviews out there, but i want to hear it. There is one on youtube, but the song choice and quality isn't that great. Help please?

No video refs but I've played a few recently. The first was awesome. So I kept an eye out for others but they weren't nearly as balanced as that first which also had exceptional ease of play. Cudda been the set up. What struck me about the first one was the familiar yet unique sound. Great jangle with compression. Modern vibe with a vintage fundamental. Also it was hella fun to play. The next two shared some of what I've described but didn't have the fun. Good luck.

Ok so it's probably best that I play the exact one I am going to buy? I know guitars can vary, but I figured once you get to a 2000+ price range you wouldn't have to worry about it as much. Well can I get it cheaper at a local dealer, Do they negotiate, or is the price the final price?

When I bought mine last January they were listing new with hsc for 1899.00 at GC and mine was a 2008 floor model so I got it well under that. I paid the price on ther clearance tag, but had always negotiated previously on a number of guitars purchased there. I have seen several used for sale in excellent condition for between 1200.00 and 1400.00 on E bay and other sources. I have played a total of 4 different ones and they all sounded very similiar tonewise depending on condition of strings. After a setup and allot of playing mine has opened up and IMHO sounds amazing, classic Gibson short scale mahogany bright, sweet well balanced tone which tomwood2u defined very well. Theres allot of great guitars out there whether Gibson or other, 2000.00 does not gaurantee a great guitar that suits your taste.

Yes, but if Tom had a lot of variation, then I'm pretty sure I want to go to GC to play the actual guitar I want to buy. What modifications have you guys done to you HA, as far as bridge pins and possibly guitar saddles and would you rather have ones different than your current ones and what would they be?

On my first one that was replaced, I was going to have to replace the nut. On this new one, other than introducing it to heavier strings that I prefer, I don't foresee any mods.

As for sounds, I'll see if I can post something in the next day or so. But they have a tone, brightness and thickness that is somewhere between the vintage and modern classic in my opinion. And I've played a lot of Birds before I made my purchase.

Archived