Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for some help please.

garymiles

Looking for some help………..

Here is the story. I was at a local watering hole last week when an older gentleman started to talk with my wife, by older I mean 86! Through the conversation between the two it was discovered that he played guitar (Tenor Banjo) and I worked on guitars. Grandpa Tinker as he calls himself asked if I would mind looking at his Tenor Banjo that he had with him for tonight’s karaoke show. I had no idea what he was going to bring to me but I was astonished and amazed when he opened his original tattered case to expose a 1935 Gibson Mastertone Electric Tenor Banjo!!!

I looked at his banjo in utter amazement as he told me he had bought it when he was just 10 years old. He once had it re-fretted by Gibson in the early 70’s but it took months to get it back. He told me stories of playing the banjo on many corners just to make a little money. He also could not count how many bluegrass festivals and bars he’s played at over the last 70 years all on the same little tenor banjo.

Long story short, Grandpa Tinker has been in Michigan for 5 months now after a terrible car accident. The frets on the banjo are worn down its nearly unplayable. I was wondering if anyone on this board has a contact at Gibson so they can hear this amazing story and maybe help this guy out. I have many more details that I could give to Gibson, such as serial number, name of store it was bought and a ton of pictures. Please let me know, I love to help this guy out.

Looking for some help………..

Here is the story. I was at a local watering hole last week when an older gentleman started to talk with my wife' date=' by older I mean 86! Through the conversation between the two it was discovered that he played guitar (Tenor Banjo) and I worked on guitars. Grandpa Tinker has he calls himself asked if I would mind looking at his Tenor Banjo that he had with him for tonight’s karaoke show. I had no idea what he was going to bring to me but I was astonished and amazed when he opened his original tattered case to expose a 1935 Mastertone Electric Tenor Banjo!!!

I looked at this banjo in utter amazement he told me he had bought it when he was just 10 years old. He once had it re-fretted by Gibson in the early 70’s but it took months to get it back He told me stories of playing the banjo on many corners just to make a little money. He could not count how many bluegrass festivals and bars he’s played at over the last 70 years all on the same little tenor banjo.

Long story short, Grandpa Tinker has been in Michigan for 5 months now after a terrible car accident. The frets on the banjo are worn down its nearly unplayable. I was wondering if anyone on this board has a contact at Gibson so they can hear this amazing story and maybe help this guy out. I have many more details that I could give to Gibson, such as serial number, name of store it was bought and a ton of pictures. Please let me know, I love to help this guy out.

[/quote']

Is there some reason it has to go back to Gibson for refretting?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Grandpa Tinker has been in Michigan for 5 months now after a terrible car accident.

The frets on the banjo are worn down its nearly unplayable.

I love to help this guy out.

My guess is that maybe Gary and Grandpa Tinker are hoping Gibson my act on some benevolent impulse, since any good independent luthiers are gonna want to be paid.

Honorable intent, but I don't know where to begin with Gibson beyond Customer Service.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Listen this is not about me what so ever, I don't do refretting. I have no vested interest in this guy. I just met him. All I can tell you is it's rare to meet a guy of this caliber and it's even more rare for a guy to have dedictation to an instrument and brand for this long. I should have kept my mouth shut, happy holidays. Forget it.

Hey, whoa, hold on a minute!

Not trying to piss on your shoes.

Danville Rob asked why not any luthier, so I responded as I did.

No accusations, I believe the efforts you're making are honorable.

The guy's in a bad way, the banjo needs work, and Gibson just might step up to the plate.

I'm with you on this one, it would be a magnificent thing if Gibson would go to bat for the guy.

70 years with a banjo is a lotta history.

As I said, good luck.

Ok sorry for the jump but sometimes these forums can be hard on people. In reality it does not have to go back to Gibson. I'm going to try some local contacts as well. All I know is this is a very rare banjo being played by a very rare type of person.

If the right person at Gibson found out about this guy and talked to him a bit, they would see what I mean. It's a feel good type of thing. Cheers.

Archived