Gibson Brands Forums

Weather-checking is my friend

gearbasher

Has anyone ever tried to purposely weather-check their instrument? I really like the look of a heavily fractured finish on an acoustic. My ‘95 SJ-45 Deluxe has about 8-9 small-moderate cracks in the finish on the top, mostly around the bridge and the abalone inlay around the top. I’m considering subjecting the guitar to abrupt changes in temp., just to speed-up the process. Just wondering...Will it work? And, am I asking for loose braces/glue joints and/or cracked wood? Any thoughts.

If you want to speed it up, you could use the Fender custom shop method of using a can of compressed air (air duster), like the stuff you get to clean a computer keyboard, invert the can (wear a glove though) and spray on desired area (providing its a Nitro finish). The can will frost over so be careful, then the sudden freezing then back to warm air around you should make that process happen almost instantly.

Its best to test it on somewhere out of sight on your guitar first though. I've done this on many instruments at work when customers want a bit of nitro aging done and hasn't failed so far.

Good luck.

DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR SKIN.....IT REALLY HURTS !!!!!! LOL

Has anyone ever tried to purposely weather-check their instrument? I really like the look of a heavily fractured finish on an acoustic. My ‘95 SJ-45 Deluxe has about 8-9 small-moderate cracks in the finish on the top' date=' mostly around the bridge and the abalone inlay around the top. I’m considering subjecting the guitar to abrupt changes in temp., just to speed-up the process. Just wondering...Will it work? And, am I asking for loose braces/glue joints and/or cracked wood? Any thoughts.[/quote']

Will it work? Possibly. But why someone would want to take the chance of ruining their guitar is beyond me. If you do it, keep in mind that if you're the original owner, the warranty will be void. And also, if it doesn't work and something should happen structurally, you've got some major expenses ahead of you.

Archived