Gibson Brands Forums

New to Forum - need admin help - Custom Shop 2003 SG Special 63? reissue?

chriscolt

Hi

I am the proud owner of 2 Gibson SGs, one is a 1973, Walnut Gibson Custom and the second (where I need some help) is a 2003 Gibson Custom Shop - 63 SG Special Reissue with vibrola (not full plated maestro). The serial number of the Cherry 03 SG Special reissue is 030201 - it checks out according to the Gibson Serial number identification site

I want to validate if the reissue has the correct tremelo bar when I look at the vintage 63 specials, they have a flat tremelo bar similar to what was used on the Bigsbys, but the tremelo bar I have is the one used on the vintage mid 60s (chrome bar with white plastic handle) - I want to make sure this was not switched out accidently, DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OF THE 2003 - Custom Shop SG Special Reissue - if I remember correctly, this is a 1963 SG Special Reissue? so I could see what handle was used on the vibrato/tremelo? Also, I want to validate that the the Truss rod cover is also correct it reads "Les Paul" - which I am not sure is correct for this reissue..

Finish is a beautiful cherry, looks aged as does the metal parts, Pickups are the correct P90 Black Soapbars

Any help from anyone is appreciated - I can include a pic of this guitar if helpful

Chris

Not according to your own catalog - in 1962/1963 - see links below

Color picture of 1963 SG with flat tremelo bar

http://www.everythingsg.com/images/identify/photos/1963_SG_Special_1.jpg

1962 Gibson SG Special Catalog (shows Tremelo option - flat-bar)

http://www.everythingsg.com/catalogs/1962%20SG%20Special.jpg

1963 Gibson SG Special Catalog (does not show tremelo option)

http://www.everythingsg.com/catalogs/1963%20SG%20Special.jpg

So then I can assume that the Treleo bar I have (plastic handle) is the correct one for this guitar (2003 Gibson Custom Shop Reissue of a 63 SG Special) - even if it is not historically accurate (I want to make sure it is correct from the Gibson Shop, historically accurate is secondary) - And I assume that the Truss Rod Cover saying "LES Paul" although, not historically accurate (SG Specials did not have the Les Paul carved into their Truss bar covers, only the Customs and Standards did) is correct for this Custom Shop Remake?

Chris

after a little more research, i've been told that the flat bar trem is indeed the one we used on SG Specials in the past...the white-handled one is used on SG Standards and Customs. we no longer do the SG Special with a trem...it is only available with a stopbar tailpiece. Not sure why yours would have a white-handled trem.

As far as the TRC goes, current SG Specials have a blank TRC. it's possible that spec has changed since 2003, though. Unfortunately, i don't have info that tells me what an '03 would have had one way or the other...

Thank you - now that I was able to find a catalog from 1963 (over 45 years ago) - Gibson should be able to point me to a website or a PDF copy of a website (considering 2003 was only a few years ago) that the custom shop used in 2003, worst case, there has to be a paper catalog or advertisement flyer from the Customer Shop for 2003?? - advertising the models available that year - including my 2003 SG Special VOS/Custom Shop 1963 reissue -

This way I can validate beyond a shadow of a doubt whether this "gift" I received supposedly new, in 2003 from a friend that is very close with Gibson Custom Shop - he orders directly from them as a dealer- if the guitar was modified and the tremelo was added post production - or - it was an option from the Custom Shop - or - it was a special order from the Custom Shop - I have the original warrantly card and Pre-Pack / Final Pack Checklists, the date is 4/22/2003, the serial number is 030201, It is a Early sixties reissue of a Gibson SG Special with dual P90 pickups, Cherry, single old style combo bridge / tailpiece and a short maestro tremelo (no tailpiece) with ivory colored tremelo bar (chrome bar, ivory plastic handle) - a true work of art and function - very low action, beautiful very dark rosewood fretboard (looks like brazilian - as compared to some vintage SGs I have played - but I know it is probably not brazilian rosewood unless someone from the custom shop "accidently" put one on this guitar - is there a way to tell - by looking at it?) - and it has the mysterious truss rod cover that is multi-ply with "Les Paul" engraved - should be plain

Any pictures or ads or descriptions from 2003 Custom shop models available - especially, the SG line - would prove once and for all that the guitar I have is factory - Custom Shop - original or not. - What we do know is the serial number, the approx date of manufacture, the type and electronics used, and what is on the guitar - what we are missing is what was the 2003 Gibson Custom shop SG offerings?

Chris

Archived