Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning

ajsc

Not sure what type of "grime" you're talking about, but for routine stuff, just a soft damp cloth should work. If you need something more, then you can try Naphtha, applied with a soft cloth. If you still need something more, then an abrasive cleaner, such as Petros Finish Restorer or Meguiar's #2 should do the trick. But go easy if you use an abrasive cleaner. You can then follow up with a polish, such as Gibson's pump polish.

Thanks for the advise. It's just everyday, haven't been cleaned in about a year grime.

I thought the guitar was clean, but we had a real nice day in Phoenix today so I took the AJ out in the yard, for a while.

I couldn't believe my eyes at how not clean the guitar really was,once I got a good look at it out in the sunshine.

I'll assume you're a US resident, and that the "grime" you speak of is from years of play.

First, avoid alcohol-based cleaners (glass cleaner). Harmful to the finish, and they'll completely strip all the essential natural oils from the wood.

Next, don't use dish detergent, bar soap, or any other such product. Often they'll have stearic acids and petroleum distillates that will "cloud up" a finish.

For me, nothing beats some cotton swabs, a few soft cloths (old cotton socks or terry-cloth washrags) with some lemon oil, or Scott's Liquid Gold (can, not spray). Avoid lemon scented furniture polish, unless there's no other alternative -- you'll spend most of the day wiping off the excess artificial wax. If there's actual finger funk, real gritty dirt, Murphy's Oil Soap and clean warm water, taking care to avoid scratches. Gentle is the key. After which, I oil up the finish.

I usually do this on an off day, when I have time between string changes. After the old strings are off, I take time to get to the hard-to-reach places with a cotton swab lightly dipped in oil. This includes the frets, underneath the floating pickguard (if any), under the bridge and around the posts (assuming a Tune-o-Matic or trapeze bridge), behind the nut and around the tuning pegs.

After which, a bit of oil on the rag of choice, first wiping the areas that need it most. Turn rag over, repeat as needed. Wipe dry with clean cloth.

In my opinion, naptha is something of a "heavy artillery" cleaner, and should be used sparingly. +1 to guitarstrummer's advice re: abrasive cleaners; modern finishes don't have the durability of the old-school stuff, and even a real pro with know-how can still go too deep on a veneer.

I spent a winter outside of Portland once!! If it wasn't raining it was snowing.

When the sun did come out in the spring, I loaded up the old truck,& headed home to Arizona, where I nearly died from heat exhaustion during the summer.

I have to say I've never seen a more beautiful place on earth than Oregon!!

Archived