Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 50th Anniversary

omarxx

Does the 50th anniversary ES-335 have the long neck tenon like the historic '59 reissue? What are the differences besides limited to 200 issues? Also, someone told me that a chunk of the center block is missing like a USA one. I can't find anything on the Gibson website about this model. Thanks.

- Omar

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting question indeed. Very few information is available on this guitar...

More generally, would it be possible to know what are the main differences between the 50th anniversary es335 and the '59 historic collection ?

For instance :

- Does the 50th anniversary have a long tenon ?

- Does the 50th anniversary have the same electronic (500k pots, bumblebee...) ?

- Is it made in Nashville ?

- What is the fret size ?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these 50th ann. models and while I can't answer all of your questions, I can answer a few.

Yes, it has the long neck tenon, long pickguard, and the hardware is not glossy. I don't know the difference between VOS and aged, but the pickup covers and all hardware are a matte, frosted finish. Not scratched or corroded, but it looks old. Same for the whole guitar...binding aged, finish very lightly dulled (not scratched). It comes with 2 pickguards: One with Custom shop logo, and one lightly relic'd w/ minor pick scratches. It was made in Memphis, not Nashville. (at least it says Memphis, Tenn. on the orange label inside)

It is not particularly light, but then, neither was an original '58 335 I once had the pleasure of playing for a while. All and all, I am very happy with this instrument, It was expensive, but I'm not sorry at all. Killer tone, feel, HUGE, FAT neck! I really think they got this one right. JMHO. O:)/

PS: I do wish it came with an authentic brown period case, but the Custom Shop black/black is very nice.

Larry Camp

www.larrycamp.com

• 4 months later...

what about the bees?

I have one of these 50th ann. models and while I can't answer all of your questions' date=' I can answer a few.

Yes, it has the long neck tenon, long pickguard, and the hardware is not glossy. I don't know the difference between VOS and aged, but the pickup covers and all hardware are a matte, frosted finish. Not scratched or corroded, but it looks old. Same for the whole guitar...binding aged, finish very lightly dulled (not scratched). It comes with 2 pickguards: One with Custom shop logo, and one lightly relic'd w/ minor pick scratches. It was made in Memphis, not Nashville. (at least it says Memphis, Tenn. on the orange label inside)

It is not particularly light, but then, neither was an original '58 335 I once had the pleasure of playing for a while. All and all, I am very happy with this instrument, It was expensive, but I'm not sorry at all. Killer tone, feel, HUGE, FAT neck! I really think they got this one right. JMHO. :D/

PS: I do wish it came with an authentic brown period case, but the Custom Shop black/black is very nice.

Larry Camp

www.larrycamp.com[/quote']

I would like to know about the details too. How different is it from the Nashville '59 ES-335? Campfire has some good questions. What about the block?

comparing the spec info i have, i really don't see any major differences. i am trying to confirm the electronics and the centerblock questions...

Thanks Admin,

Is it fair to say that I can look at the '59 Reissue specs and conclude it is the same for the '58 50th from Memphis? I'm looking at getting one, and am just looking for confirmation on the details.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
I have one of these 50th ann. models and while I can't answer all of your questions' date=' I can answer a few.

It is not particularly light, but then, neither was an original '58 335 I once had the pleasure of playing for a while. All and all, I am very happy with this instrument, It was expensive, but I'm not sorry at all. Killer tone, feel, HUGE, FAT neck! I really think they got this one right. JMHO. :-/

Larry Camp

www.larrycamp.com[/quote']

Hi.

I just picked up a VOS Cherry 50 anniversary 1960 ES-335 yesterday and in searching for some more info found this forum and this thread. Hi everyone!

My 335 only came with one pickguard. The lightly aged one without any logo. My guitar doesn't have the Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock either, which for me is a plus. And mine is quite light. It weighed out at 7 lbs 13oz on a fairly accurate scale.

Other than those small differences, mine sounds just like yours.

I really wasn't looking for a guitar when I went into the store yesterday. In fact I went in to pay off my account when the owner, who is also a friend, pulled out the guitar.

The finish was EXACTLY like the 1964 ES-355 he had on the "high end" rack. I fell in love with it right then. When I picked it up and felt how light it was and how resonant it was unplugged, I was sold.

I've never been an ES kind of guy, I'm more a Les Paul player. I think that's changed.

• 1 month later...

Mine weighs in @ 8lbs 8oz. It is the (1958) 50th Ann. model, 1 of 200 made for GC. I guess every year now, they (Gibson) will reissue a "50th Ann. Model"!!! I figured it would start and stop with the '58 because it was the FIRST year...but, no. It seems Gibson will not miss an opportunity to run a good thing into the ground. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with a 59, 60, 61, 62, reissue...ect. It's just that I bought the guitar thinking it was going to be 1 of 200 and I was wrong. It's just the serial # that's unique, not the guitar. As far as I can tell, they STILL sell a 58 historic 335 reissue that's the same basic specs as mine. Oh well, you live & learn. Or some of us just live. I do love Gibsons.

Archived