Gibson Brands Forums

Fret wire advice needed

deepblue

Fellas ( and ladies too)

At last I got my new neck installed on my Stratocaster. Its set up perfectly.

One thing I notice. When I bend strings it feels like the string gets caught in a small cut

in the fret wire. Not all over the neck, but there are one or two spots.

If I rub my nail over the area in question you CAN feel a small scratch in the 6105 stainless.

Any remedies?....Is this as simple as a swipe or two with some fine sandpaper?

It sounds like you need to have your frets levelled and polished (or at least polished), and I would get it done by an experienced luthier. Fret levelling involves filing the frets as a whole with a perfectly flat file (sometimes called a stone) and this will give the frets a consistent height. If you attempt to file the frets individually you will almost certainly end up with an uneven surface and it will be very hard to get any consistency between the frets. Once all the frets are on a level plane (and they may well already be on your nice new neck) then the frets need to be crowned which is the process that put a smooth rounded surface back on your frets, and will also ensure that the string contacts the dead centre of the fret. I'm no expert, so please ask a qualified luthier, and resist the temptation to do it yourself if you are not sure what you are doing. Hope that helps. If the neck was fitted by a luthier he/she should really have done all this before giving the guitar back to you.

Stainless is notoriously difficult to work with due to it's hardness. I think it would be best to ask for the marks to be removed. Nicks in the frets can cause plain strings to break at that point. It can occur with ordinary 'nickle-silver' alloy fretwire, so the harder stainless frets must be super smooth .

Archived