Gibson Brands Forums

1956 Les Paul Special TV - Value - With LARGER Photos

56LP Special

Need offers or opinions on the value of my 1956 Les Paul Special, single cutaway, two P 90s, TV finish, very good condition overall. It has the earlier TV finish that is more white or straw color rather than the later intense yellow. The body has some wear thru along the edges and a few spots on the back but, aside from this normal player wear and case wear, it looks very good. It still has the original brown alligator grain soft case which shows its age. I keep the guitar in a LP reissue lifton style case to protect it. Unfortunately, someone replaced the pots and caps and when I removed the tuners, I found that the holes had been enlarged at some time. But, it otherwise appears to be very original and plays and sounds great. Is there a credible source for replacement pots and caps or should I just sell it as is ? I know that prices in the 2010 value guide have dropped considerably from last year but, honest original guitars are getting hard to find. A local dealer is pushing really hard for me to sell it to him, with only the soft case for $ 5,500. cash but, that seems much lower than even the new guide. I would prefer to sell it directly to a player/collector to save them the mark-up fee and also possibly make a little more for me. Any opinions you have on value in this condition would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

lp7.jpg

lp6.jpg

lp5.jpg

lp1.jpg

lp2.jpg

lp3.jpg

lp8.jpg

lp4.jpg

I've seen a couple recently. One earlier this month here:

http://vintageguitarsource.com/gibson/les-paul-standard/1956-56-gibson-les-paul-special-tv-vintage-rare-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+VintageGuitarSource+(Vintage+Guitar+Source)

That one is advertised as all original for $6000

I'd love to see your pics in a larger size. [biggrin]

<Update edit> Now they're full size. Nice pics. Worn in well. Too bad about the headstock, but I don't think that offer is too far out of line. You could always go on ebay with a reserve.

Hi Rocky4,

Thanks for your input.

We all want the highest price we can get for our gear but, I also occasionally buy guitars too so I know how important it is to have a Win-Win deal so that both parties feel good about the transaction.

I hope a player makes me an offer so it goes to a good home.

Thanks again,

Garry

:-k Thanks to all for your comments and emails regarding my Les Paul. I made a counter offer to the dealer that was considerably higher than his original offer of $5,500. and the guitar has been sold. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I still have my two favorite Gibsons: 1964 Byrdland Custom formerly owned by Junior Watson, and my Gibson Lucille that BB King autographed for me long ago.

Best Wishes,

56LP Special

Archived