Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone plays with a slide?

Andre S

At my best, I stole all the swampy stuff Arlen Roth did in the movie "Crossroads". I used a 50s Harmony lap steel through a ProCo Rat and Fender Twin. Used a regular Stevens steel on that one of course. At the time I also had a trashed Kent acoustic with a Kapa pickup screwed across the sound hole. I had our machinist make me a rudely large and heavy brass slide out of round stock. I have big fat fingers and a store bought slide just doesn't work for me. This thing is lethal.

334nu44.jpg

I'm soooo out of practice though. The mood hasn't struck in a while.

Ry Cooder is a good guy to start with. He synthesized old styles and stuck them in odd places. Try RC (first album, er CD), Purple Valley, or Boomers Tale. Ry's source players include Fury Lewis, Fred McDowell, Blind Willie Johnson (holy blues in open D), Son House, Robert Johnson (not so much), Elmore James (plugged). Blind Willie McTell did some nice slide pieces on his 12 string (Savanah Mama).

For primo old style slide on acoustic, cant beat Mr. Paul Geremia. Gambling Woman Blues has some of his best: Skin Game, Special Riders, Cheaters Spell.

Archived