Gibson Brands Forums

ES-135 LE Model Number Typo?

Snorre

Hi all, new poster here - I hope this is the appropriate place to ask about my 1999 ES-135 LE. I bought this beautiful guitar back in 2000 at the Haight Ashbury Music Center when I was living in San Francisco. The serial number is 93389316.

It looks like the model number was mis-printed (filled out in ink pen) inside the f-hole on the Gibson sticker that also displays the serial number. It reads as "ES-175". I figure it's just a typo but thought it best to check with folks far more knowledgeable about Gibsons here. My apologies in advance for the less than stellar photos - I don't have the greatest digital camera.

008.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

0092.jpg

0082.jpg

I was wondering if this will be an issue as I am in the process of getting my guitars insured. I figure as long as the serial number is accurate there shouldn't be a problem. Still, better safe than sorry. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply in any way a derogatory comment about your guitar.

Insurance is usually purchased for the unexpected incedent of loss, theft or damage. An insurance settlement on a ES-175 would reap you more money than a 135. I was trying to be funny about the "if you expect the unexpected", kind of like the wife that buys a million dollar life insurance policy on her husband the day before he "mysteriously" falls off a cliff.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh, no worries! Totally understood what you wrote, but I was a little confused by brundaddy's comment. I know the ES-175 is an older model and more valuable but the thought of getting busted for an insurance scam and becoming the new plaything of a prison cell mate keeps me on the straight and narrow! =P

To clarify my first post, I guess I should be ok with the serial number and headstock - especially in cases of theft and the guitars possible return to me. Of course, this may all be moot since I'll probably have to provide photos of the guitars for insurance anyway.

A little joke - I have a black 135 that would be 'the one I would want to be marooned on an island with.' Hands down my favorite Gibson that I have. It's a funny model though because it almost seems like there were no factory specs other than the body style. Some 135s have p90s, others have 57s. Some have f holes, some don't. Some have a lightweight center block, some have a heavier center block. Some have a trapeze tailpiece, others have a stoptail. Some came with a pg, some didn't. I thought they all at least came with a 135 ID sticker, now I see yours with a 175 ID sticker....

Archived