Gibson Brands Forums

Dodging overpriced vintage parts (Strat content)

ksdaddy

Two or three of the height adjustment screws on the saddles of my '83 Strat were stripped. Not the actual threads, just the socket heads. I wanted to keep it as original as possible, understanding that parts do wear out or break. Chinese replacement saddles are on ebay for $10 or so....no thanks. New Fender replacement saddles weren't much more but they weren't historically accurate. I know they make whiz-bang titanium and graphite saddles but I'm not one to "improve" a guitar just for the sake of improving when there's really no problem; I just wanted to make the originals function as designed. A quick look on ebay found sellers asking upwards of $200 for a 70s hardtail bridge. One was at $50 and I almost bid, then I decided to dig a little deeper. I had already rooted around in my junk saddle drawer; all were metric. I tried a 4-40 screw and it was a perfect fit. Back to ebay, I searched for 4-40 x 3/8 socket head set screws and bought a package of 12 for $1.95.

It's not often we can beat the vintage market people. This may never happen again but I'm happy today.

Two or three of the height adjustment screws on the saddles of my '83 Strat were stripped. Not the actual threads' date=' just the socket heads. I wanted to keep it as original as possible, understanding that parts do wear out or break. Chinese replacement saddles are on ebay for $10 or so....no thanks. New Fender replacement saddles weren't much more but they weren't historically accurate. I know they make whiz-bang titanium and graphite saddles but I'm not one to "improve" a guitar just for the sake of improving when there's really no problem; I just wanted to make the originals function as designed. A quick look on ebay found sellers asking upwards of $200 for a 70s hardtail bridge. One was at $50 and I almost bid, then I decided to dig a little deeper. I had already rooted around in my junk saddle drawer; all were metric. I tried a 4-40 screw and it was a perfect fit. Back to ebay, I searched for 4-40 x 3/8 socket head set screws and bought a package of 12 for $1.95.

It's not often we can beat the vintage market people. This may never happen again but I'm happy today.[/quote']

congrats man!! [biggrin]

Archived