Gibson Brands Forums

Contemplating buying a LG1 1958' - 60's Input?

larriveeD02user

I am contemplating buying a friends LG-1. He's had it for a few years and out of all the guitars he's bought and restored, this little thing is the best playing, sweetest sounding instrument he's owned. Claims these go for $1200-$1500; however despite the guitars perfect sound,and amazing playability(sounds awesome all the way up the neck), it has many repaired cracks on the top, reglued pickguard due to cracks underneath, and the binding is cracked w/pieces missing. As it is, I need to know what a reasonable offer would be. He's Asking $750 [w/a new case $800].

The price seems decent to me depending on the structural condition. I purchased an LG1 last year with it's share of dings and finish cracks. I paid more than he is asking and then put another $500 into a neck reset and had a K & K mini western pickup installed. I wouldn't sell it for twice what I have into it because it has become such a staple in my collection. If it sounds good and doesn't need too much work, I think you would be getting a deal.

The 2010 Vintage Guitar Price Guide shows a 1958 LG1 in excellent condition to go for $1300-1500. BTW, a 1965-66 LG1 in excellent condition goes for $700-900. You might want to weigh whether you should go for a repaired/well worn '58 or a good condition '65.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

through using the several online resources as references I've found this to be a 1961 LG1 [Kalamazoo]. Does this make a huge difference on resale (not that I plan on ever reselling this one if I buy it: )

Not really (Other than 61 is one of the best years. I should know, I was born then!)

The more valueuable LG1's would be from earlier. The banner headstock versions would be the most valuable and those were much earlier I believe. Make sure to check and see how well you like the neck. Some of them have very skinny necks but I think those came later. Mine is a 1964 and has a decent hefty neck.

The 2010 Vintage Guitar Guide shows a 1961 LG1 in excellent condition in the range of $1100-1300.

BTW, as FYI my '65 has a very thin neck.

You'll find that starting in '62, the prices for LG1's are lower as they started having the notorious plastic bridge that generally broke or was simply replaced by most owners.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived