Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie on the forum... new ES-339 owner

nobody

hi all... really cool site you guys have here... i've been lurking and reading up for the last few weeks..learning a lot too! Lots of great info here.

I just got my first Gibby!!! an ES-339, few weeks ago. I've been a Strat (ducking for cover) player for the last 10 + years... since i started playing.

I'm pretty new to Gibsons and humbuckers, so far i'm loving this thing :-k the 57' HB's are amazing. i play more clean that with dirt and these are great! So far i am more than pleased. the first 2 days with it were another story. it wouldn't stay in tune for more than 5 minutes and wouldn't stay clean. i lowered the pups and that helped. the tuners seamed to have sorted themselves out. i figured it must be because it was never played... i got it new in the box. L&M in Vancouver ordered it for me.

overall the quality is perfect, feels well build and looks to die for! I'm a happy customer. and my poor strats are getting dusty [-X

I'm a Johnny A fan... i wanted the JA model but it was a bit out of my price range. so when this came out i was excited.

now for my questions:

- i want to get a bit more body out of the bass strings. they sound a bit as if the tone knob is turned down. i improved it by lowering the pups (i may need to tweek more) and still need to tweek my amp a bit too. Any tips on how to get more juice out of the bass strings?

- i'd like to add a Bigsby, will it fit? will it make a mess and leave holes on top?

Thanks all!

Any tremolo unit you put on the guitar is going to leave holes... but if thats what you want and plan on keeping the guitar go for it... I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson comes out with a tremolo for it... Anyone know anything about that? I hope to get my 339 tomorrow. I had to have it shipped to me in Spain and it got hung up in Customs. After talking with them today they told me it would be delivered tomorrow.... Fingers crossed!!

What color and neck size did you get?

hey daveinspain,

i got the 59' fat neck... it's huge, but feels great!

it's vintage sunburst.

i spent some time tweeking my amp last night and at the same time playing with the pick up heights... got some very good results. getting a better tone on the bass strings and the treb strings still sound great. overall the tones i get out this are amazing... this guitar sounds so good.

Cool... I just got my 339 today... Heritage Sunburst as well... I got the 30/60 neck. Seems very big though I wonder if I got a 59 neck by accedent??? On my receipt it says 60's neck but it seems much bigger than my other Gibsons (LP Classic 60's neck and a Robot Guitar 50's neck) Any way of knowing which neck I have from the serial number or something?

I got the 30/60 neck. Seems very big though I wonder if I got a 59 neck by accedent??? On my receipt it says 60's neck but it seems much bigger than my other Gibsons (LP Classic 60's neck and a Robot Guitar 50's neck) Any way of knowing which neck I have from the serial number or something?

Congratulations to both of you.

Trust me Dave, believe it or not you did get the smaller neck. If you read some of my posts from the last couple of months, you'll see my comments when people asked about the 339 neck size. I'm lucky enough that in Canada, the stores sometimes have one or two on the shelf for at least a day or two so I was able to try both. I like bigger necks, but the '50s neck on the 339 was huuuuge!!! I usually wrap my thumb over the top to fret the bass note on the low E, but there was no way I could do this with the '50s neck. When I bought mine in january, you couldn't get those things anywhere. The only reason I was able to get the one I did was because someone had ordered one and they had be trying to reach him for a month with no luck. The guy at the store knows me pretty well so he said "if you want it, it's yours". I bought it, but in the back of my mind I wished I had bought one with the '50s neck. It was 2 months before I got to try one and I'm soooo glad I got the neck I did.

I kinda lost you a bit there... So which is the neck you have? The 50's or 60's? I think after having the guitar for two months you got used to the neck. Then when you tried the other neck it must have felt really odd... The neck on my 339 feels way different from all my other guitars but I am already starting to get used to it... I'm sure Gibson would'nt make a neck that people can't play... both the 50's and 60's have their appeal to certain styles or types of players...

Hey Nobody... Nice nick but I hope you don't have a self esteem problem... ;-) Just kidding... Anyway my 339 seems to be bass heavy on the low E string. Tell me a little bit about what you did with the pickup hight to get the sound you wanted... I notice that my lower pickup seems very close to the strings. There is only about the space of a heavy pick between the strings and the pickup... How much space did you leave?

my pick ups were like yours right near the strings. i took them down low, not flush but pretty close. then i raised the bridge pup a bit more to be higher up than the neck pup. of course they are both pretty low. i still have a bit more tweeking to do but i'm getting there. i'm playing it with a Princeton Recording Amp and it was breaking up way too early, lowering the pups make that right and i have much more control over the sound. and because i'm used to playing a strat i had a lot of changes to make on the amp with the EQ, and that made a big difference. my mian goal was to get more tone out of the bass strings.. and it's working.

as for the neck, i had my concerns the first time i picked it up... but now i love it. crazy big but plays like butter!!

I kinda lost you a bit there... So which is the neck you have?

Sorry' date=' I have the 30/60 neck.

I think after having the guitar for two months you got used to the neck. Then when you tried the other neck it must have felt really odd...

That's not an issue. A have a bunch of Gibsons with different necks and I switch back and forth all the time. The ES-339 '50s neck is just FAT!!

I will receive my ES335 with a '59 neck on Monday. I was checking for vibrato systems for the guitar and came upon a ZZ vibrato system that's made for 335's. It uses a Bigsby and there are no holes drilled. No damage to your guitar

Archived