Gibson Brands Forums

J-190 on eBay

bkharmony

the epi is the same as ebay one without the bling

There's a family resemblance, but they're not really the same. The thing that distinguishes the J-190 from everything else is that it has an undersaddle pickup and a "Charlie Christian pickup"; you can use either alone or both when playing. The idea was to have something that sounds like a flattop when played through the undersaddle pickup (which it does) and like an archtop jazz guitar when played through neck pickup (which it doesn't). But, like lots of Gibson experiments, the result was great, even though not quite what was intended. They're fine sounding acoustics -- I got to A/B mine against some J-185s when considering buying it, including a gorgeous Custom Shop J-185EC, as well as some other similar guitars (e.g, a cedar-topped maple LC-1 Cascade), and thought it had by far the best acoustic tone of the bunch. And the tone playing though the neck pickup is similar to an X-braced, solid top J-160E. Very versatile guitar! Plus, playing through both pickups works really well on stage when you're in a group and you need a little extra punch to cut through, especially if there's another acoustic guitar or two in the mix.

I don't know why these didn't sell better, especially given that Jorma Kaukonen played one (well, two actually, but not at the same time!) from 2002 until 2004 or '05 on stage with Hot Tuna (acoustic and acoustic/electric), Blue Country, and solo. Pretty good advertising! Bad marketing by Gibson, probably. Promoting it as "jazzy" was no doubt a mistake.

BTW, the price the guy is asking on eBay is, IMHO, unrealistic. I paid significantly less for mine new, and Music Machine had one -- used, but in absolutely pristine condition, and with the much rarer (and very cool!) transparent black custom finish -- listed at around $2500 on eBay a couple of years ago. I think it sold, but they had to list it several times.

-- Bob R

BTW' date=' the price the guy is asking on eBay is, IMHO, unrealistic. I paid significantly less for mine new, and Music Machine had one -- used, but in absolutely pristine condition, and with the much rarer (and very cool!) transparent black custom finish -- listed at around $2500 on eBay a couple of years ago. I think it sold, but they had to list it several times.[/quote']

I wondered about that.

One of these days I'll likely upgrade my L-4A to a J-185, but if I could get one of these beasts at a reasonable price, I'd surely do it.

...if I could get one of these beasts at a reasonable price' date=' I'd surely do it.[/quote']

I happened to stop in a bookstore with a copy of the 2010 Vintage Price Guide this afternoon, and it says the range is from $1500 to $1700 for J-190s. That might be a little low, but you could try offering something in that range, quoting the VPG, and see what happens.

-- Bob R

Archived