Gibson Brands Forums

So there I was, playing a quitar made in Poland

daveinspain

Yeah so i'm in my local guitar store, best one in town for vintage and used guitars, and i see a really sweet looking guitar hanging on the wall. The sales guy seem me looking at it and says, yeah those guitars are made in Poland...:-& So I had to pick it up and give it a play.

Man what a nice guitar, the neck was a dream beefy but nice, action was perfect... low and fast no buss anywhere. Has anyone ever heard of Mayones Guitars?? Check then out here. The model I was playing in the store was a Setius lizard. I was duly impressed....

Very interesting! Good to see that Europe strikes back at last with some good manufacturers! I knew that they only built good ships over there at Gdansk...:-k And not of mahogany! [biggrin]

How was the pricing on these Dave?

Excellent! The one I was lloking at was marked down to $1200... Very tempting...

Has anyone ever heard of Mayones Guitars??

The name rang a bell and I found a review of one' date=' a Mayones 'Maestro' model, from March 2009.

It's small, shaped roughly like a regular double-cut PRS, [u']but[/u] semi-hollow like a 335. Straight through neck construction. Carved (solid) flame-maple top, mahogany back and sides, ebony 'board. Very classy looking indeed.

To cut a long review short they absolutely loved it. "...plays effortlessly...sounds top-notch...wide tonal palette...impressively defined Hi-Fi like depth..." etc...etc...

They awarded it the maximum score possible - 5 gold, errr, plectra.

The only reservation they had was the price (about $4,000 USD).

Not that they felt it wasn't worth the money : it was. They just felt it would be difficult at that price to tempt people away from the 'usual suspects'.

The price quoted in the review (in Sterling) was 2,799.

The review starts by saying most endorsees on the company's website seem to be from the Metal brigade but adds...

"...Strange, then, that the company's 'Flagship' model happens to be a semi-hollow glamour puss that carries Mayones' tag of 'Highest class exclusivity - for jazz, blues and other obsessions.' ".

It is also exclusively built to order, which probably explains the relatively high price.

It certainly looks as high-class as they claim it to be.

Archived