Gibson Brands Forums

Is my guitar a '72 Les Paul Deluxe?

RoyCPCU

I would like help in determining whether my Les Paul Deluxe purchased in May 1972 is actually a '72 or possibly an earlier model (NOS). My original case has a yellow liner instead of the purplish ones I have seen on other 72's. As you know, the serial numbers are no help.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

RoyCPCU, Gibson used a series of serial numbers from 1970-1975 (I think), so you can't go by the serial number alone. The only other thing is the number on the pots. I have a 73 deluxe, that I have only been able to narrow down to 72 or 73, since I bought it new in 73, and they used the pot numbered 70028, and I've been told they used pots with 70020 before 72. I don't know how accurate this info is, but maybe that helps.

The pot code number which is yeilds the most useful information is the seven digit "manufacturers code". The other number is just a "part number".

The mfg # format of MMMYYWW is read as follows; MMM = the code for who made the pot (usually 137 for CTS), YY = the last two digits of the year of manufacture, and WW = the week of that year that they were made.

Archived