Gibson Brands Forums

Head weblike laquer cracks

Jaggerwhisky

Here is a question: im buying this 59 black beauty reissue from 2006 and except of the fact that this is a dream come true instrument in perfect condition there is something i dont know about. The laquer on the head over the logo area is weblike cracked. It is very delicate and seller said that this was intentionaly made to make it vintage black beauty look alike. Well i just dont know if thats how they do it or my LP got some cosmetic issue there. Can you answer how it is for real?

Welcome to the forum. can you post any pics? what you are discribing doesn't sound right. It sounds like you have been told it's a VOS. And a 59 black beauty?(unless it's a custom) doesn't sound right to me . but i'm no expert on all the LP's out there. i would get the serial #'s and check them with Gibson first. More info and pics. This not what Gibson does when they VOS a guitar. Good luck.

I have an lp with a similar issue. The previous owner stored it in his garage on a seashore town which acording to him' date=' high humidity and salty corossive air affected it.

Here's what the headstock looks like and everything else is pristine.

[img']http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4305079722_51d9326d0e.jpg[/img]

My god!

Do you mind if i save that pic?

It might be useful for future refrences?

It happens to alot of les pauls.

Most of it due to guys going outside in the cold with thier les paul in case then into a warm room.

Heat rises my friend.

If it sounds good who cares? [cool]

dem00n is right . If the guitar checks out than go for it. I was not able to look at all the pics but to answer your question, no Gibson does not do that to their guitars. The VOS models have a used look , but not like that. In talking with customer service about my own VOS , I was told they add swirl marks as one part of the process. If you like the guitar and it has no other issues other than cosmetic ones, go for it. Good luck.

Thank you guys i appreciate a good word,and as for my les,except for them tiny laquer cracks @the headstock the rest looks immaculate, sounds black beauty amazingly perfect, and i dont mind that little cosmetic issue there looking@ the big picture. The only thing that annoys me when buying so that seller was trying to talk me into the VOS thing about that laquer and i knew he is wrong but love the instrument @ first sight and decided to spend thousands anyways.

• 11 months later...

This is not how it left the factory, but it is also very common. I have seen several Les Pauls that the finish began to lift and get these cracks, and they usually start at the inlays in the headstock and spread from there. As the headstock overlay ( the black part ) expands and contracts from temp and humidity, the inlay material does not....something ( the finish ) has to give......and you have finish cracks. Usually, it doesn't get too bad, just little "bubbles" around inlay corners. But 1 LP in particular in a local music store was the worst I have ever seen, and was so bad it was noticeable at any distance and covered the entire headstock....looked like a broken windshield.

Archived