Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner replacement or button replacement on a 57 LG1

ryanfender

I recently acquired a 1957 Gibson LG1. The original tuners (at least I believe they are original) on it are functional but stiff. The buttons have shrunk and weathered to the point of coming apart soon and also make it more difficult to turn. I realize I could replace the buttons but I am seriously considering replacing the tuners to provide a more user friendly experience while also preserving the original tuners and buttons. Is a complete tuner replacement with replicas a reasonable approach to this instrument or should I just replace the buttons. Please note that this guitar will be played and not sit in the case. Secondly, in choosing a replacement. Is there any difference between the replicas Elderly sells and the ones Stewmac sells? They seem just a little different? Is one better than the other? Surely, someone has done this and has experience with it.

Thanks in advance.

Tuners to choose from:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Vintage-style_3-on-Plate_Tuners.html

or

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/WD90NPP.htm

Here are the current tuners.

DSCF1615.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

From the links posted, the Elderly site clearly states "Kluson Deluxe". The Stew-Mac only says "Vintage Style". They MAY be the same, but I would not risk it. You need to be real careful with some of the products sold by Stew-Mac if it doesn't state a specific brand or manufacturer. I have been burned by them in this way, and ended up up with some really cheap crappy parts.

Here's the official Kluson site for comparison:

http://www.kluson.com/PRODUCTS.htm

You might also try Allparts.

Hey Ryan....

Congrats again on your LG1 purchase... great all around blues guitar. I have not replaced the tuners on my 1964 model. They are actually in pretty good condition and hold the tuning well. I would agree with Larry that if I were getting new ones, I would go for the Kluson Deluxe as I believe they are the same as the originals.

Hey Ryan....

Congrats again on your LG1 purchase... great all around blues guitar. I have not replaced the tuners on my 1964 model. They are actually in pretty good condition and hold the tuning well. I would agree with Larry that if I were getting new ones' date=' I would go for the Kluson Deluxe as I believe they are the same as the originals. [/quote']

Yeah, I am leaning toward ordering the Klusons from Elderly. Do you think I being stupid by replacing the entire tuner?

• 10 years later...
On 5/14/2020 at 7:18 PM, Ruderik said:

hey Ryan what did you end up buying? I would be interested to buy your tuners, the digits that had my ‘57 before put on some ugly tuners, while they work, are an eye sore

thanjs Ruderik 

You realize that's a 10-year-old post you just replied to?

Stewmac sells three different repro replacements for closed-back three-on-a-plate Klusons, including Kluson-branded versions.  All of these are a bit better mechanically than the vintage Klusons would be, although I've restored plenty of those (no, I don't have any to sell).  Depending on the tuners on there now, you may have to use adapter bushings (also from stewmac) if the original holes were over-bored for the replacement tuners you have now.