Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Issue

Ken Rayba

Does anybody have a tuning issue on their 330, 335 or 345 guitars with the "G" string being alittle sharp, even with the saddle as far back as the bridge will allow?

I have the problem with my 67 ES 330 and my 76 ES 345, but not at all with my 2005 ES 335.

Is this an inherent problem with some of these guitars, or you think the frets are just worn since they are so old and have been played for years?

Yes, I have, and someone explained to me that it was because it was a plain G string. They suggested that if I switched to a wound G, the problem would disappear. Have not changed, so can't tell you if it works or not. Wish I could be more help. I'm sure someone else here could be.

I forgot to mention I'm using 10's on the guitars. My 2005 ES 335 has 10's also. One thing I remember, when I rec'd my ES330 back in 67 and purchased my ES 345 in 76, I don't belive they made 10's back then. The heavier set of strings was standard back in the day that I can remember. I could be wrong, but used heavier strings, I had used light gauge flat wounds, and regular gauge which had to be heavier than the lights I use today.

Thanks for the response. I can live with it.

If you have your stop bar pinned down, try raising it, that usually a common mistake that will put you out of range. The ideal spot is around just below or just above the bridge height and if found will yield the best tone. Also should bring your intonation with-in its range of adjustments of about back 3/4's of the way. Also higher action will cause that, so try and set a little relief into the neck for just a slight forward bow and let it settle for 24hrs and set your string height as low as possible and of course use new strings. Remember the "G" string has the least amount of tesion of-em all, and when setting intonation you want-it to "come-in" for about 1 & a half of a second then fall flat.

These are older guitars and have the trapeze taipiece. I have my action on both guitars at 7/64" and 5/64" which was the correct action height for those guitars back in the day. I use new strings and it always the same. My neck is relief is proper I believe, enough for a business card to pass thru at the 6th fret.

These older guitars came standard with heavier gauge strings, which was the standard string gauge back in the day. I don't even think Gibson makes them anymore.

I have noted this issue with some newer guitars, but not with my trapeze-tail '67 ES-335. The frets are very low profile and the nut slots are quite wide. Funny thing is, I may have this guitar re-fretted and a new nut installed soon. The intonation and tune stability are great right now, but playing on these low frets is not much fun. I just hope I won't start having the tuning issues after the fret job!O:)

Yes' date=' I have, and someone explained to me that it was because it was a plain G string. They suggested that if I switched to a wound G, the problem would disappear. Have not changed, so can't tell you if it works or not. Wish I could be more help. I'm sure someone else here could be.[/quote']

The wound G string definitely works. The following article, which I posted on the Epi forum, explains it:

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202Setuptxt.html

Hi Ron, thanks for the link! It was an interesting read. It does makes sense, like I stated earlier those older guitars were set up/heavier strings than the standard regular gauge that I use now. I did take one person's advise and take some tension off of the neck & that helped a bit. I'm going to try and find some wound "G' strings in the gauge I need and give that a try.

The article was correct, the "G' always has that metal clang to it.

Thanks again!

NO MORE ISSUES! I picked up some wound "G" strings, Ernie Ball .018, and they tuned perfect! Thanks for all of the input. I really don't play my 67 ES 330 or my 76 ES 345 out anymore, I just strum once in awhile. Keeping them for the Grandkids. But I just put up with the G being flat as I started using 10's on the guitars.

They even have a more even tone, got rid of the clang or ring with the plain "G".

Archived