Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for advice on my old tube amp.

BurstBucker Pro

Looking for advice on my old tube amp, a 'Voice of Music Model 160'.

I was given this old tube amp around 1979, when my uncle Harry passed away. He was the leader in a band called 'Harry Hibbard's Riverboat 6', in Traverse City Michigan.

It is a Voice of Music Model 160.

Some current pictures:

amp1p.jpg

This is my homemade speaker box, that I currently have it mounted to:

amp2.jpg

Here is the amp's schematic, but to me, it doesn't match exactly to what electronic parts that I see installed in the amp. I am no expert mind you, knowing him, he may of had it customized at some point.

amp3.jpg

This is how the inside looks:

amp4.jpg

I had to buy some new tubes for it, due to the original ones, came up MIA.

It currently has these tubes installed:

(1) Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH

(1) Groove Tubes GT12AT7C (ECC81/6021)

(1) Sylvania 5Y3GT rectifier tube

(2) Groove Tubes GT6V6R's

This is how it originally looked, only newer! [tongue]

http://audioartillery.com/projects/vm_160_amp

I decided to have it looked over/upgraded by an amp tech...

I think it would be fun to have it in a small 'head box', but probably that is more of a wood workers job, than an amp tech? What speaker might shine with this amp? Some liken this amp to a Fender Deluxe, before it goes into distortion. (It is a very clean sounding amp, no doubt.)

I believe I want to buy it a new closed back cabinet, and want to try running the Celestion Alnico Blue...

They are rated for 15W's, with a Frequency range of 75-5000Hz.

This Amp's specs say:

8 watts RMS (60-12kHz frequency response, with not more than 2% harmonic distortion at 400 & 1000Hz)

Trivia: The V-M 160 was in production from 1952-1954 as an institutional amplifier (for schools and such), to power record turntables and the like. The stock speaker was a 10" Jensen P10S "Alnico 5" 8 ohm speaker. It was configured to be powered by two 6V6GT tubes, a 5y3 rectifier, and two 12ax7 preamp tubes.

These amplifiers were produced in the Benton Harbor, Michigan plant.

This is my current wish list, I plan on turning into the amp tech:

Replace the power cord with a three-pronger, and ground the amp's chassis.

Replace Phono, Microphone, and Tone pots.

Add a fuse holder.

Replaced all filter caps, coupling caps, bypass caps and plate resistors when warranted.

On the the power filter capacitors, replace with ones designed to handle more voltages, and possibly run two of them separate from the can capacitor for hum reduction?

If voltages are found to be too high, possibly add a zener diode to get the voltages down to reasonable levels?

The 120v outlet on the front panel, has a chip missing out of it. Replace that outlet, if one can be found that will fit?

Replace the pilot light. (It works, but figure while he is in there, might as well go for the gold, and do it all?)

Replace the Phono input RCA jack, with a standard 1/4" jack in its place.

Note: Phono input should have an extra 100 volts coming off its 12AX7 portion, that the Mic input portion doesn't have for extra scream!

Replace the Mic jack, to match the new one installed for the Phono input.

Check the voltage measurements in both the preamp and power section of the amp, making sure they aren't too high, insuring the bias readings on the power tubes don't exceeded those recommended for 6V6 varieties.

Possibly replace the (2) odd speaker outputs on the back of the amp, with something more standard? (Not really sure what that is on amp heads, I have never owned one.)

Possibly change resistors and/or capacitor values, to produce a little more gain for guitarists.

If anybody can think of any other requests, that I might be wise to request with this amp, feel free to post your idea up.

I posted this at Ultimate Guitar, and some of the boys thought I should keep the original capacitors installed, and might also consider not changing much on it at all. (Keeping a more authentic 50's sound.) What would you do?

The amp still works fine as is...

Cool project you got there... I would agree with the guys who said not to go changing out too much stuff if any at all... I think that is a cool looking funky amp and I love the speaker box you made thats plugged into now. If that thing sounds good and is dependable I would leave it just like it is and let people think... What the @!#$ is that:-k :) [biggrin] sounds great though....

Archived