Gibson Brands Forums

I ALMOST bought a guitar at Guitar Center.

NeoConMan

Oh, I've bought a few guitars from them over the last 20 years.

Came close several other times, the guitar was good and the price was right, I just decided not to.

Usually on used pieces.

Last one was in 2003 - it was an Epic Journey through retail idiocy.

All the way up to - and including - the store manager.

Only one assistant manager finally had the presence of mind to save the day - after a couple weeks of battle.

Some here may remember it.

It was my Guild Blues Bird with P-90s.

Bought it used, they shipped it from a store in Oregon to Tempe, Arizona - in the wrong case....

This is a truly entertaining thread! [thumbup] I can understand the need for a day trip everyday you have to check out some guitars & amps, but perhaps you will be able to feel a little better at the thought that... there is worst!

Now picture this: you're living in the middle of the mediterranean, in a small island of a less than 1 million, with 3-9 guitar shops in the 3 major cities. Now that's the definition of an oligopoly. Your choises in guitars,amps, pedals are not only limited, but terribly overpriced as well. A couple of examples: epiphone Les Pau standards sell for EUR 800.00, while at a major internet retailers in Europe you can find them around 400-500 Euros. Small fender amps that on the island sell for EUR 300 you can find them on the net for EUR 200.00, and you need around EUR 1,000 for a Fender Blues Junior as an example! And if you want a Gibby Standard you will have to pay EUR 2,200 - 2,500 otherwise you will have to risk with an internet buy. So, most of the times the internet is one-way to go, if you're looking for something particular, for which you will have to base on you-tube videos and harmony central reviews to find out if that works for you...

Oh, I asked for a pickup replacement at a local store and they demanded EUR 100.00 for the labor part alone... For each of them... And on top of that, they have this rusty mentality of not trying a lot of gear in their stores, not until you have committed to buy it at least! Now, what's the point then...?

(however takes the time to do the exchange calculation from Euros to USD,will end-up with that ''look'' you describe above...[blink] :D )

Archived