Gibson Brands Forums

ES-137 Help

bloom59

Touche' date=' brother! I couldn't agree more ...

Hang on, amigo -- I play Slayer, Judas Priest, Budgie, etc. all the time on my 137 Custom. I would argue that it can totally hold its own when it comes to metal. I love my 137! (especially now that it's got a Bigsby)

[img']http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss315/bruntrumble/137Bigsby.jpg[/img]

I notice that you still have the stop bar on. Is that just for looks? Do the strings go through the stop bar or under it?

Nice guitar by-the-way...

I notice that you still have the stop bar on. Is that just for looks? Do the strings go through the stop bar or under it?

Nice guitar by-the-way...

Thanks! I always thought my 137 looked goofy with only a stopbar' date=' out of proportion with all that real estate back there - to me anyway. Always wanted a Bigsby soo... To your point though, I wanted to see for myself what's the trouble in retaining the stopbar. Answer: there is none, as long as you [i']flip it around[/i] (it likes to walk towards the tail otherwise).

An important point is that I discovered incidentally is that in retaining the stopbar, we can install a Bigsby without the 'tension bar' because the stopbar functions nicely as one - so I could have used a B5 or equivalent, against conventional wisdom.

Last thing, I did not drill a single hole or buy an adapter kit, the Bigsby is fastened by the strap button only, and string tension ensures proper alignment (once I had it tuned I finished tightening down the strap button screw).

• 3 months later...

Just fitted a pair of Mississippi Queen p90's by Bare Knuckle Pickups, and I think that ill take back everything I said about the 490r/498t humbuckers being good. Because in comparison to the MQ p90's they are rubbish pickups.

The BKP's are awsome!!! they do everything better than the humbuckers did, way more open sound,very responsive to touch, excellent dirty and clean up very well. No mudd at all they make the guitar sound much more dynamic.

Archived