Gibson Brands Forums

Wood stain matching

Blackie

I am trying to match existing trim in a house. I have done this a long tme ago

but this time I am having a hard time............anyone have some experience.

After about 25 different blends I am still not quite there............

Trying to match the chair rail piece.

Guitaretc079.jpg

Guitaretc085.jpg

Part of the problem is you are trying to match stains on two different kinds of wood. The machined mill work (chair rail?) is a light oak and the s4s boards are pine. That's a tough match. That second bit of mill work (case molding?) looks like pine too. That will be easier to match in a couple years. Pine, when freshly sanded/milled/cut is very light colored, almost white. As it ages it browns or yellows up.... .whatever you call it, it gets darker. Cherry goes through this metamorphosis too. Bottom line, whatever you stain it today, will be darker in a couple years, maybe less.

To match today, I'd say the chair rail (oak) could be matched on the pine with a golden oak color varnish. (one step, no staining)

The case molding (aged pine) was probably, lo these many years ago, just covered with a coat of uncolored polyurethane and is showing it's age. It appears to be more highly figured than your sample piece so it may never 'match'. But that is the beauty of working with natural materials.

That's why my 50 years old (today) eyes see.

Thanks guys........and Tom your thoughts are right on, they make a golden oak varnish ?........I used some golden oak stain and satin poly combo

but is not golden enough.

I have no faith in most of the folks in the paint section of home depot or lowes, or paitence to wait and deal with them, so I sent my Dad......

what they gave him was'nt right.

Archived