Gibson Brands Forums

Class 5

fast fret

So, I finally got to try one out today.

My singer just got one and he let me use it at todays band practice. First off it struck me as really good! I only had the volume on 7 and it had broken up to a decent amount of distortion. To even stand a chance of being heard over another guitar and bass AND drums i had to turn it up all the way (normally about 3 on my 50 watt jcm). It had a really classic Led Zep/ thin lizzy sound going on and was FAT.

One thing that really stood out about it was how clear and crisp it was, every mistake was 10x worse than i was used to [biggrin] and also, it sustained. Forever. It did however lack the sheer power and b0llocks it claims to house in a 12kg box. There was certaintly something missing though. It just sounded distant and way too tame compared to other marshall amps that aim for a classic rock tone. I think if the amp was mic'd up for recording it would sound amazing but in a situation like that it just didn't move enough air to have enough impact.

For the money though, it is very, VERY good. Still, not worth the amount of hype it's had IMO...

If I'm not mistaken' date=' it is meant as a practice amp/ recording amp. Too quiet to play over a drummer and through the mix. I think its great, I am definitely going to wait though, too many problems with rattling as I have heard[/quote']

Yeah you're right, but 5 watts is enough for a small band practice. I was just surprised at how quiet it actually was after all the talk of how LOUD these practice amps are [biggrin]

Yeah you're right' date=' but 5 watts is enough for a small band practice. I was just surprised at how quiet it actually was after all the talk of how LOUD these practice amps are [biggrin] [/quote']

For a small practice, yeah. Cutting through drums and everything else? No. It sounds great in the right applications though. Add in other noise, and things seem real quiet fast

For a small practice' date=' yeah. Cutting through drums and everything else? No. It sounds great in the right applications though. Add in other noise, and things seem real quiet fast

[/quote']

very true, but even on its own after an hour or 2 of playing it started to sound as i described. But in terms of a good all valve tone, it wasn't bad for sure

Archived