Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone help with a Hummingbird

liam

Hi all,

First post here, I have read a few in the past but now wanted to get some help/advise.

I am in the UK and am in the process of finding the right Hummingbird to buy, I have fancied an Sj-200 in the past but now have my heart set on a Hummingbird (fancy the tone and the fact that it is not as loud as the jumbo's).

I have the option of a new 2010 version or a second hand 2000 version but do not know if there are different build qualities over the last 10 years or anything that should swing me when deciding which one to go for.

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys

Liam

Mine is a 2001 and is a fantastic guitar.

The 2010 will have a pickup if that matters. I never use one so I am glad mine doesn't have one.

The 2010 will have a white label vs. orange on the 2000. Other than that I think they are the same.

My advice is to play both, and buy the one that sounds and feels best. I have a 2008, and it's a mercurial, haunting sounding thing...one of the most 'musically' voiced guitars I have ever played. I previously owned a 2006 'Bird, however, which was nowhere near as sweet-not bad at all, just not the world class guitar that my 2008 is.

If I were you, unless the 2000 is miles better, I'd lean more towards the new guitar as you have warranty etc, plus it's yours from the get-go and you can put all the miles and scars on it through your own playing and journey, rather than someone else's.

Having said that, let your ears and fingers make the decisions...let us know the result!!

Hi all' date='

First post here, I have read a few in the past but now wanted to get some help/advise.

I am in the UK and am in the process of finding the right Hummingbird to buy, I have fancied an Sj-200 in the past but now have my heart set on a Hummingbird (fancy the tone and the fact that it is not as loud as the jumbo's).

I have the option of a new 2010 version or a second hand 2000 version but do not know if there are different build qualities over the last 10 years or anything that should swing me when deciding which one to go for.

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys

Liam[/quote']

Howdy, I lived in the UK the last three years and ended up speaking to this guy a couple of times -

www.glennsguitars.com

I think he's based in Enfield (north London) he deals with mostly vintage but he may be able to answer your question!

Archived