Gibson Brands Forums

Where to find plastic bridge for B25

vitamint

Hi guys,

I noticed the plastic bridge on my B25-n is cracking on the bottom and I would like to replace it. Not really looking to replace it with a wood one at this time as I would like to keep it very authentic.

I would much prefer to buy a genuine Gibson part.

Let me know if you know where I can find one.

Thanks.

I appreciate and applaud your wanting to keep it original but in this case it is a very common thing to replace the plastic one with a wooden one. It won't take away from the value because the plastic one is generally regarded as substandard. I wouldn't advocate replacing a perfectly good plastic one but if it's cracked or unstable, don't have any reservations about replacing it with wood. You can always keep the old plastic one 'just because'. Little things like that are a bonus if you ever sell it... not sure why.

Thanks for the replies guys. If I go with putting a wood bridge on, will they have to fill the holes that the plastic adjustable one mounts to? I have seen a few threads where people have replaced them but it looked like they knocked out the collars the original hardware bolted to, removed the laquer where the new bridge will sit, filled the holes and lastly attached the new bridge. With trying to keep it original, I beleive I would want some "reversable" way to go back to the plastic.

I have a '64 Southern Jumbo that originally had an adjustable bridge. Sometime prior to 1984, the bridge was replaced with a non adjustable one (otherwise identical). They left the threaded inserts in the top. I know this simply from looking inside and the fact I had to reglue it sometime around 1990. I don't see any harm in leaving the inserts there. It's doubtful they have much effect on the tone. Having said that however, I wish I had removed them when I had the bridge off, just in case they actually did make a slight change. I did go inside and remove the nuts though.

Archived