Gibson Brands Forums

J25 owner in despair

John de B

I'm betting the cost of a new top will exceed the value. The J25s had a laminated top. I don't know if they could make the top from a J-160E fit or not. They made J25s in Kalamazoo and Nashville from 1983 to 1985. The leftover bowls were shipped to Bozeman around 1991 and they were completed with solid tops and called the OP-25. J25s and OP25s sell on ebay for $400 or $500. I doubt a new top could be installed for that.

wow!!!!! i really dont know what to do at the moment ..i have to tell you that the sound from this baby was astounding ..a really good bass sound.its like losing an arm..I will try and get some photos together... Ive done a quick repair job and it is playable ..not for gigging though.. i thought maybe a good luthier may have been able to help me ...should I give up on my baby get another one ? Ive seen a few on the web..around $600 in your money but will it sound the same ..as you said is it viable option gettin it repaired [biggrin]

it dropped while i was gigging lucky the back was not broken my repair was to put a piece of thin wood behind the bridge via sound hole.then nut and bolt it back..but the bridge is seriously tilting forwards toward the soundhole as if it wants to fly off at any moment ..i dont play it much now i just worry all day as to what i can do with it ........Im sure something will come up guys

I wish we were closer. I know I could fix it. I've had to knit many plywood guitars back together, either just from a challenge, dare, or trying to help someone with a treasured junk. Not calling a J25 junk (it's not) but when the plywood rips apart it makes a mess. A 'real' repairman would tun it down but I'm not normal.

Archived