Gibson Brands Forums

Price Difference between an ES165 and an ES175.

SamBooka

So I am getting closer to D-Day. I have been googling whatever I can find on the ES-165.

One thing I noticed is the differences between and the early 90s ES-165 and an Es-175..

1) One pickup w/tone-vol-selector

2) No inlay on the headstock (stencil) on the 165.

3) 1000$ in price (MSRP was around 2000$ for the 165, 3000$ for the 175)

#3 is the one that throws me. That seems like a big jump in price for one pickup. Pots and a headstock veneer.

300-500$ would be the max I would expect.

Does anyone have an opinion on the other 500$? The name maybe? (ES-175). Or maybe I missed something?

Just curious.

Drew

The 175 will hold it's value much better because it's a "standard" model. That said, the 165 (or Herb Ellis model) is a great guitar, especially for the price. As a jazzbox player (and a jazz player), you will seldom use the bridge pickup for real jazz. I NEVER use it on my L-5CES for the music I play (big band, jazz combo). I didn't but a "Wes Montgomery" or a "Lee Ritnour" because these are "oddball" models.

If your looking for an investment, buy a 175. If your looking fo a "player", buy a 165, if it's good enough for Herb Ellis, who am I to argue.

#3 is the one that throws me. That seems like a big jump in price for one pickup. Pot

Drew

I agree... what is even more alarming is why the Westerly guild X-170's are about 1/2 the price of ES-175's... And about 1/5 the price of a Byrdland...

It's all in the name... I would buy an ES-165 confidently... It will hold its value just fine...

Archived