Gibson Brands Forums

my 59

LPR9

Hi there, newbie here. Recently bought a 59 reissue (SN: 991849), cannot be happier. It really is a work of art.

Can anyone shed some lights ...

- What is the year of production of this guitar?

- Is it a VOS and 50th anniversary version (I was told it is by the sales person which I'm doubtful)

- What is the sound / tone difference between a LPR-9 and LPR-8 (significantly cheaper)?

Just wondering what the original sale price on this guitar new and unblemished? There is some dent on this guitar, so I got discounts buying it. Still I paid nearly 5 grand for it, which i'm pretty sure I've overpaid ... but what the hell, I have a 59, I should be happy [crying]

Thanks a lot!

Congrats! Any pictures?

99xxxx can mean it's either a 1999 or 2009 but sounds like it's a brand new 2009. It is and it isn't a 50th anniversary edition, depending on how you look at it. 1. Only the first 500, 2009 R9s with gold COAs are 50th anniversary editions; or 2. If the COA says "50th anniversary" than it's a 50th but if it doesn't, then it's not. (Some after the first 500 had black COAs with "50th anniversary" on them); or 3. Any R9 made in 2009 is a 50th.

If you ask me, it's only a 50th if it comes with documentation stating it is. I used to think the opposite but it's all really in the paperwork.

Price, just to to guitarcenter.com and look at the price there. The sticker price is the same everywhere you look but some places will sell them for much, much less. In the US, I've heard they can sell for as low as $4,200.

R8 vs. R9? Read this. Should answer all your questions.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Thanks heaps! Sure, I'll take some pictures and post'em up here later.

Yeah, it's just a regular 2009 R9, not the 50th edition one. Still, good enough for me. Though I sometimes can't help to think for the same money, I could easily get a R8 + a nice Strat / Tele + a practice amp!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

No, not the hologram. The front of the COA, itself, will say "50th anniversary." Yours have it, right?

The R9 Darkburst has the gold coa, And the R0 version 3 has the gold coa.those are fine. The one I was eluding to was the Rustburst,It has nothing on the coa saying it's a 50th. Anniversary reissue. If I recall correctly. Although, it's still being sold by Sam Ash as such. Also, mine came from the Gibson Historic,Custom Shop Truck(directly), that goes around. And they sold it as such. I did call Gibson about this and they confirmed that it was from a run of 59 pcs.That's it. And they would not change the coa to reflect that. I did print out the Email from Gibson, stating the guitar was from a run of 59 pcs. and it had '57 classic pickups in it. In the end, it's all good, as it's a very very nice playing guitar and a (imo) real beauty. thanks.

Archived