Gibson Brands Forums

a question for Thundergod

saturn

I just read an interesting account of an event that took place in Equador back in the 1930s.

Since TG is from there, I'm just curious if you've ever heard the name Leonardo Paez? I haven't even Googled him, and will summarize the story later, but I was just wondering if his was still a household name in Equador.

I guess not [cool]

The story I read was that he was the programming director at a radio station. They did a War of the Worlds show (just like in the US) but took it even further. Weeks before the program aired, they sent people out to make false UFO reports and get the town into a UFO frenzie. They never made a disclaimer before the show to let people know it was fake. They even interupted a regular program to bring the "special report". It of course created mass panic, and when the town people finally realized it was a hoax, a mob stormed and set the radio station on fire. At least 6 people died and many more injured. Leonardo ended up having to change his name and leave the country in fear of his own life.

I was just curious if people there were still pissed at him or have they gotten over it? :-

Yeah, that happened in Quito, which is the capital of our country, and all hell broke loose that night [cool]

Just like in the US.

I think most of them got over it in time. If you ask people on the street most of them won't know who he was, hell if you tell them the name of the last president before the one we got now they will probably answer he's some artist or something.

Bunch of ignorants [crying]:-

Archived