Gibson Brands Forums

Elvis Dove truss rod covers

cb

I'm new to the forum but I'm a long time Gibson owner. My most recent purchase is the Elvis Presley Dove (on order). When I do Google searches I see most of them have a white TRC but some have a black TRC. Can anyone tell me which one to expect? I'm hoping the answer is "it comes with both".

Fuzzy memory here, but I seem to recall Bill Gonder of Gibson being asked something about a switch from white bridge pins to black bridge pins, and we all held our breath waiting for some profound answer. His response was something like "They ran out of white ones and they found a box of black ones".

Again, fuzzy and paraphrased, (apologies to anyone who actually remembers what was said) but the 'take home' message is that sometimes specs change for no other reason than available stock or lack thereof.

So it will be a crap shoot as to what you get.

I'm new to the forum but I'm a long time Gibson owner. My most recent purchase is the Elvis Presley Dove (on order). When I do Google searches I see most of them have a white TRC but some have a black TRC. Can anyone tell me which one to expect? I'm hoping the answer is "it comes with both".

Does it look like this?

ccmsg09-2.jpg

Yep, I understand that manufacturers resort to using "floor sweepings" from time to time. My preference is for a black cover so I'm prepared to buy a plain black one and put the white one in the case, if it comes down to that.

It should look like this:

534511b9-b85e-4494-8215-e3912aa6f100.jpg

Yep' date=' I understand that manufacturers resort to using "floor sweepings" from time to time. My preference is for a black cover so I'm prepared to buy a plain black one and put the white one in the case, if it comes down to that.

It should look like this:

[img']http://images.gibson.com/Files/534511b9-b85e-4494-8215-e3912aa6f100.jpg[/img]

that's a pretty axe there! I actually like the white TRC, but as you can see Elvis's was black. I think the guitar needs the doves in the bridge. Elvis's has 'em, but not the "Elvis" model. Not sure why.

Yep' date=' I understand that manufacturers resort to using "floor sweepings" from time to time. My preference is for a black cover so I'm prepared to buy a plain black one and put the white one in the case, if it comes down to that.

[/quote']

"Floor Sweepings" about sums it up. I have a 2006 J-45 Custom Flame Maple LTD. Now, including mine, I've seen four of these made in 2006. Three of them had ebony boards and bridges. Mine has rosewood. So, knowing Gibson, you'll probably end up with a Les Paul "Standard" cover.

"Floor Sweepings" about sums it up. I have a 2006 J-45 Custom Flame Maple LTD. Now' date=' including mine, I've seen four of these made in 2006. Three of them had ebony boards and bridges. Mine has rosewood. So, knowing Gibson, you'll probably end up with a Les Paul "Standard" cover.[/quote']

Remember, a painting is worth more than a photograph, due to the small "human" imperfections. It's what makes "art" ...well,....art!!

I know nobody asked, but, well, here's kinda how it went. I have a '63 J-45 (cherry sunburst faded to amber) and the poor thing is showing her age. Frets are worn, the bridge and top are doing that "belly up" thing (pulling up is more accurate I guess), and I recently noticed a "crack" right down the center of the top from the bridge to the back-end.

I knew I liked the sound of Gibson dreadnoughts (e.g. Hummingbird), with the nice full bass, and then I saw this stunning black Evlis Dove. So it's not so much the Elvis thing as it is I decided I wanted a black guitar! Hence the desire to have a black TRC on it. And I've always loved those double parallelogram inlays.

Now I have a new dilemma. I want to play this guitar but the collector in me says keep it pristine. There must be someone who makes transparent plastic covers that go around the soundhole area? I'll have to google that. Ya know, maybe there's a case for relic'd guitars here - you aren't afraid to play them!

One thing's for sure- if it shows up with a Les Paul Standard TRC I'll be contacting Gibson. ;-)

Archived