Gibson Brands Forums

Kill the Goose (step) with the golden egg (head)

Lowdown

Funny thing I've discovered about language...

I'm usually pretty exacting. Perhaps too exacting, but if one might parse my sentences it should be pretty much a matter of simple verbal arithmetic to derive a very specific meaning.

It's not a matter of "education." It's a matter of someone wishing to create more exact communication. For example, I could call a parts shop to tell them I need a windshield for a '97 Ford - Uhhhhh ... what Ford?

But I've discovered that specificity may no longer be how some folks wish that material be written or spoken. Specificity seems out of style; emotive words seem in style even if they cast a slant on facts and create a borderline error. Of course, too many "readers" will edit things in their head to change meanings to what they want things to mean.

Whatever. <grump>

m

If you weren't already bummed enough about the whole "inarticulate society" thing, consider this;

Kids spend how many hours in a week concentrating on reading, writing, spelling, grammar, usage, etc?

How much time do they spend texting?

24/7.

Damned shame when they can't even ask "Would you like fries with that?" without messing it up.

Imagine when they have a job that entails responsibility....

At the nuke plant, all these young guys in training are already whining that they can't use their phone in the

control room. Not just a bad move with the NRC looking over your shoulder, but the phones WON'T WORK.

Too much concrete between them and the airwaves, so the phone absolutely will not get a signal.

An entire 12 hour shift with no cell phone? No messages? Nothing from the outside world?

I see some of them headed for stress-induced leaves of absence....

Archived