Gibson Brands Forums

Kill the Goose (step) with the golden egg (head)

Lowdown

I don't know who "ratzo" is, but I agree with every word the bishop says.

The "issues" within that organization have painted them in a poor light (as it should) but they are still

doing what they should in the big picture. And no, I'm not Catholic.

I don't know who "ratzo" is' date=' but I agree with every word the bishop says.

The "issues" within that organization have painted them in a poor light (as it should) but they are still

doing what they should in the big picture. And no, I'm not Catholic.[/quote']

it's Cardinal Ratzinger, (aka The Pope)

I don't know who "ratzo" is' date=' but I agree with every word the bishop says.

doing what they should in the big picture. And no, I'm not Catholic.[/quote']

Or this guy:

MidnightCowboyshot.jpg

E,hm... someone should teach the bishop some BASIC world history... On the contrary, the majority of crimes against humanity, mass-slaughters & ethnic cleansing have happened in the name of freedom and the name of religion...

There are so many obvious cases, that I won't go in the trouble to mention any of them...[cool]

Yeah, I wasn't gonna go there for fear of coming across as a NeoCon Xenophobe or something....

[cool]/

But for sheer numbers you can't beat the ones I mentioned.

Ethnic cleansing has decimated many, many peoples over the centuries, but we're not talking millions at a time.

Yeah' date=' I wasn't gonna go there for fear of coming across as a NeoCon Xenophobe or something....

:-/

But for sheer numbers you can't beat the ones I mentioned.

Ethnic cleansing has decimated many, many peoples over the centuries, but we're not talking millions at a time.[/quote']

Well, if you count WW II, (with the Jewish Religion aspect), you can count another 60,000,000!!

(it took me an hour to post this, 'cause I was holding my son... then had dinner...:- )

The first words of this song, summarizes it all perfectly:

''For a price I would do anything /

except than pull the trigger /

for that I need a pretty good cause...''

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Neo...

<chortle>

Actually some stuff has more than decimated various folks since...

Decimate means to kill 10 percent, as in one of 10 persons.

Romans gave us the word, and the action behind it.

<grin> Just a pet language peeve of mine. The Romans would line up whatever group they wished to decimate, grab every 10th person and ... it was into the next life for them.

m

Ya don't say....

:-k

Hmmm...

:)

Milod' date=' there are fates [i']much worse[/i] than receiving constructive advice from you.

I stand corrected!

;)

As long as we're picking fly sh!t out of pepper here, "decimate" was, in fact, originally meant to reduce by 1 in 10, (10%), but because language morphs into other meanings... decimate now ALSO means to reduce the number drastically.

This web dictionary uses <cholera decimated the population> as an example.

I did not know it was Roman.

Main Entry: dec·i·mate

Pronunciation: 'de-s?-?mat

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): dec·i·mat·ed; dec·i·mat·ing

Etymology: Latin decimatus, past participle of decimare, from decimus tenth, from decem ten

Date: 1660

1 : to select by lot and kill every tenth man of

2 : to exact a tax of 10 percent from <poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden>

3 a : to reduce drastically especially in number <cholera decimated the population> b : to cause great destruction or harm to <firebombs decimated the city> <an industry decimated by recession>

— dec·i·ma·tion ?de-s?-'ma-sh?n noun

Picking more fly sh!t out of pepper here, but one that drives me nuts is "key"....

"This is key to getting there on schedule..."

"This is key to meeting the goal..."

"This is key to proper usage and grammar..."

How about calling it "a" key, or "the" key or "one" key?

There ya go.

THAT'S what keeps me awake at night.

[angry]

E' date='hm... someone should teach the bishop some BASIC world history... On the contrary, the majority of crimes against humanity, mass-slaughters & ethnic cleansing have happened in the name of freedom and the name of religion...

There are so many obvious cases, that I won't go in the trouble to mention any of them...[angry

On come on have a go.

Neo...

Nope, ain't really a fox pox. <grin>

It's just a pet peeve of an old man who hadda take Latin when he was in high school.

Two years. Then two years of German. The German was okay; the Latin I hated but - funny thing, I can kinda get through a newspaper in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese... Maybe Dad wasn't so mean after all. <chuckle> Oh, and the German is okay to read a bit, and ditto some Anglo Saxon and even a bit of Dutch if I work at it.

My Dad would have preferred that I'd also gotten into some classical Greek studies, too, as he had, but... it never happened. Probably ain't likely now, either.

Technically, btw, "December" is the 10th month. Hmmmm. Instead it's the 12th. Let's see, math in base 10 or math in base 12? Naaaaah. Or is it? I dunno. Then there's base 16 that works pretty well for computers, and...

(Awwwww... shut up, self... <chortle>)

m

Freshman year in high school, we had two foreign language choices.

Spanish and German.

I asked one teacher why they didn't offer Latin, since everything Anglo-ish is rooted there.

She looked at me and said "NOBODY needs Latin, except for doctors or lawyers - it's a dead language....."

[angry]

So I took German and failed it.

One thing I DID learn, you better have a damned good grasp on English before you attempt another language.

Neo...

I'd say your teacher saying bad things about Latin was full of prune juice up to her ears.

I got horrid grades, halfway enjoyed reading Caesar in the original and disliked reading Virgil, but as I said, I can get roughly 60-80 percent or more of western Romance language newspapers without a computer or two-way dictionary.

For the travel I did when I was in another "life," it probably was much handier than fluency in just a single language.

OTOH, if one just takes Spanish, even if they achieve fluency, it seems it's not as "basic." It's like kids climbing trees. If you have Latin, you can climb up the trunk and head out onto a number of limbs that each have the same relationship to the trunk. But if you're hiked up onto one of the limbs, it may be a lot more difficult to see its connection to the others since you didn't come up the trunk. I'll freely admit, though, that for some reason the changes in Romanian make it as incomprehensible to me as Chinese even though it, too, comes from Latin. Hmmmm.

Hey, Neo, you're still young... have at it, and I'm not kidding. If I were 40 again I think I'd get into a lot more Korean than I did, because I had some really neat opportunities but stupidly told myself I was too busy. I learned the alphabet for transliterations, but... sheesh, I shoulda picked up more.

As I've said before, too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

m

I have my pet peeves too, but they're the basic everyday ones, regardless vs. irregardless, ones like that.

I've been correcting myself often lately. Stuff we learned (or should have learned) in the fifth grade. 'Many' vs. 'a lot'. Not saying 'very unique'. If it's unique, then that stands alone.

One of the local radio stations thinks it's half Canadian so the Canadian news is mingled with local news. I notice when we have a car accident on this side of the border, the occupants were taken to the hospital but if it happened in NB they were taken to hospital.

Oooo-kay.

A co-worker is from Kansas and he says his car 'needs washed'. No, it needs to be washed. I don't know which is proper but his way sounds alien to me.

Milod, a few years back I read the true definition of decimated but I don't think I've heard it used properly, before or since.

I'm not well educated so I'm not good at flexin' my lex, I just have some little details that bug me.

Sorry to be pedantic. [cool]

the occupants were taken to the hospital but if it happened in NB they were taken to hospital.

It's a Brit thing I guess.

Went to university is the same way over there.

Seems "university" has more of a proper ring to it' date=' so Americans say "to [i']the[/i] university of so and so..."

But if we go to college, we simply go to college - unless you're decribing a particular college.

By the way, what does BTW mean?

Archived