Gibson Brands Forums

2010 Gibson L7C

dvd5300

I'm having a difficult time finding a Gibson L7C that in good condition and that is reasonably priced. Everybody wants $4,000 - 7,000! The banged up ones are 4 grand and the nice ones are $6,500 and up. Am I crazy for giving up locating a vintage (60's) L7C and just freaking buying a new L7C from Musician's Friend for $5,300? Upside: the truss rod will be functional, the fretboard will be clean and it won't need refretting. It probably won't have any issues with cleated cracks and extraneous holes drilled in the side. Is there a downside? How long does it take for a guitar like this to get "played in"? The L7's I played weighed only 6 lbs. and had nice tone. Are the new ones in that ballpark with regards to weight? It's hard to find specs on the new L7's. I mean, on Gibson website, they don't list the nut size. Is it 1-11/16" or 1-23/32? What are your opinions. I'm looking for a sweet sounding archtop that has a nice, easy playing fretboard. I'm probably mildly obsessed with the Gibson branding, but I guess you all are to if your in this forum. Thanks.

Hmmmm....

I'd love to help, but I've never even held one in my hands.

Screw it, buy a new one.

Then keep your eyes peeled for the one that is surely to appear once you've spent yer dough....

New is easy, so take the easy way until your search for the "right" one pays off.

But hey, what do I know?

I'm just some guy on the internet....

[blush]

Any L7, by its' very nature, will always be expensive.

As Neo says, try a new one to see if you like it.

I mean' date=' on Gibson website, they don't list the nut size. Is it 1-11/16" or 1-23/32? What are your opinions.[/quote']

You are talking about a difference of approximately half-a-mm / or 1/32nd of an inch. Can you really tell the difference?

Archived