Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting volume of individual strings

daveinspain

Hi All, I'm just getting comfortable with my ES 339... Feels so good! I'm finding that the D string has a noticeable volume drop when I pluck that string, the A string too but not as much... I'm fairly new to guitars so if this is a lame question please forgive me.... I imagine if I adjust the hight of the screw under the D string on the pick-up it will raise and lower the volume of that string. All the pick-up screws have the screw driver slot perpendicular to the string and they are all about in the same position or hight. Is that the generic way Gibson ships a new guitar so the new owner can adjust the string volumes to his or her liking? Just thought I would ask before I go tweeking all the pick up screws and end up throwing something out of wack and having to send the guitar to a tech or something... Does that make sense?

Hi Dave--

You are correct that the "screws" (known as pole pieces) in the humbucker are adjustable and that, sometimes, they do need adjustment, but I would not go there first. I think a lot more depends on your picking style. It's hard to tell what exactly is happening, based only on your description of the volume drop, but I think it would be helpful to have someone else play the guitar for you. Pick someone you know who plays well and is familiar with electric guitars. Then, have him or her play the guitar through your amplifier and through his or her amplifier. By doing all this before you adjust the pickup pole pieces, you will have a set of controls to eliminate other variables:

1. the other person playing eliminates your potential picking style concerns--and lets another set of ears listen to hear if in fact there is a noticeable volume drop (you should play for this person as well);

2. the other person playing through your amp further eliminates that the problem is either your style or your amp settings. Let the other person fiddle with the amp settings to see what he or she can get out of the amp;

3. playing through another amp verifies that it isn't your amp that is causing the problem.

I often find that sound problems are not structural; they involve settings or set-up or technique. It is worth eliminating all those variables before you start making changes you might not know how to undo. If you still have a problem after all this, I would take the guitar to a shop near you that sells guitars and amps and ask a person there who knows his or her stuff to play the guitar and check whether there is a volume problem.

Oh, duh! I almost forgot the most important thing to do FIRST: try a different pick! You will be amazed how much difference pick thicknesses and different pick materials can make on the sound of a guitar. I have used picks that literally have cut volume on lower strings by a third, others that have cut the volume of higher strings, and others that just make a guitar sound muddy. You should definitely experiment with other guitar picks from a range of materials and manufacturers. Picks are the single cheapest and most effective way to change volume and tone on a guitar. Don't assume expensive equals better; it may for some, but I am finding for me that the best pick is the plain jane 351 style Gibson heavy.

Ignatius

I get a balanced string response by copying (and modifying a little) the Fender staggered pole piece design. The one modification is I adjust the G-string pole piece a little lower than on a vintage Fender pickup. This works great, I swear. Ditto what Ignatius says about picks.

I would agree with these guys. Let someone else take her for a spin, and see if you notice the same things. Personally I would adjust the whole pickup height first, this can make a big difference on the sound of the pups. If you like your tone, then experiment with polepiece heights. But document what you do. So for instance half turn right or quarter turn left. So you can always go back to where you started.

Archived