Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Amps.

fretplay

Probably the main thing in a good acoustic amplifier is reproduction of the source signal as faithfully and transparently as possible at all volume levels. One of the things that most electric guitarists (myself included) appreciate about a good electric guitar amplifier is the way the signal breaks up when you drive the amplifier. But this is not something most acoustic guitarists (again myself included) would want out of an acoustic amplifier.

Acoustic amps are really more like PA's than typical guitar amplifiers. KL is right--Acoustic amps closely reproduce the signal presented to the amp while electric guitar amps process the signal through tubes, or circuitry meant to emulate the tube distortion. The term "distortion" isn't used to imply an effect (like a distortion box, or tube overdrive) but the property of a vacuum tube which converts the sterile electronic sound of the string driving the pickup, into the warm, rounded sound that we recognize as "electric" guitar. So, an acousticn guitar through an electric guitar amp may not sound bad, but it won't really sound like an acoustic guitar. For a more extreme demonstration of the difference, try an electric through a PA or acoustic amp, designed to closely reproduce the sound of the signal. Not pleasant at all. There are lots of companies making acoustic amps--Fishman and AER, also Fender makes the Acoustisonic series, etc. Look for one with two channels and an XLR input in addition to a 1/4" guitar input--that gives you the option of singing through the amp as well. Remember--it's a small PA, so vocals will sound credible as well. Wouldn't want to sing through a guitar amp!! Good luck.

Dwight

The big difference as others have said is to just replicate the sound of your acoustic, only louder with no "effect" to the signal. Part of what helps a bunch with most acoustic amps I have tried having tweeters in addition to the regular speaker you would find in an electric amp. I have the ability to turn my tweeters off on my Genz Benz Shenendoah 200 Stereo Deluxe amp and have done that when playing electric through a multi effects box, but that was before I got a decent tube amp for my electrics. I would always turn off the tweeters when playing any distortion as it could blow them fairly easily.

Archived