Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identify and Value Gibson 6 and 12 string

leinwand

Howdy Everyone...

I'm interested in buying one or two gibson guitar that are being sold locally at an estate sale. I haven't been able to see them in person but will check them out on Saturday.

can anyone identify the model and give me a value estimate... here is what I know

Gibson 6 String serial number 918283 which puts it at 1968 or 1970-1972 depeding if it has made in the U.S.A

No other model number or markings... use the link below to see a picture

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/ae176/synergisticsllc/?action=view&current=gibson.jpg

also could use value info on the Gibson 12 string serial number 501406 model b45-12

Banjo is a Orpheum #3 tenor

All instruments in photo has cases and are in playing condition.

Link to picture of Gibson Guitars

Great... that confirms what I was thinking... after posting I searched through a number of gibson flat top guitars and found a similar one that was a heritage. Where did you sell it? Locally or on ebay or some thing.

Thanks for the info I'll repost and let everyone know if I get it or not.

I bought it on ebay. Weird auction. He'd list it for $1000 buy it now, then stop the auction, then $900 for a couple days, then he'd stop the auction. Then it disappeared for a week and he listed it for $700 and I hit the button before he could change his mind again. I had it a couple weeks and we just didn't hit it off at all. I listed it for $900 buy it now and it was gone in a day or less.

The B45 is about a '69 or so. No newer. Mine is a '69 and the serial number is in the same range.

Why didn't you hit it off... with the heritage? I'm a bluegrass picker and I've been looking for a nice vintage guitar but all the martins I've seen are out of my price range. I can't wait for this sale... its part of an estate auction and the anticipation is killing me. Problem is I can't wait around the sale all day for them to get to the guitars... I've got band practice and a show Saturday night and the auction goes from 10 am to 6 pm. Wish me luck.

Ian

It was just dead. Just plain dead. Thud. And not a good Gibson Thud.

That may not be representative of the model though. Based on the condition of the one I had, it may have sat idle forever and needed to be played in anew. Gilliangirl noted (from the pics) that there were indentations on the inside of the case that matched the treble side of the tuners but nothing elsewhere, indicating it may have sat in it's case a long long time. I just don't have the patience to let them break in, either new or from disuse.

I bought it on ebay. Weird auction. He'd list it for $1000 buy it now' date=' then stop the auction, then $900 for a couple days, then he'd stop the auction. Then it disappeared for a week and he listed it for $700 and I hit the button before he could change his mind again. I had it a couple weeks and we just didn't hit it off at all. I listed it for $900 buy it now and it was gone in a day or less.

The B45 is about a '69 or so. No newer. Mine is a '69 and the serial number is in the same range.[/quote']

I saw an auction like that once... it was for a 1964 Texan, in rough shape, in Epiphone's Shaded finish. It started with a Buy It Now price of $1240 (or some other odd number), then disappeared, and was re-listed for $1040, then had the price dropped to $940. At that point I was almost ready to buy it, and someone took it out from me. It would have needed a few hundred in repairs... so I'm glad I missed it, since my J-45 came along just a few days later.

Why didn't you hit it off... with the heritage? I'm a bluegrass picker and I've been looking for a nice vintage guitar but all the martins I've seen are out of my price range. I can't wait for this sale... its part of an estate auction and the anticipation is killing me. Problem is I can't wait around the sale all day for them to get to the guitars... I've got band practice and a show Saturday night and the auction goes from 10 am to 6 pm. Wish me luck.

Ian

You could get someone to bid for you... or... link up with cell phones to a buddy and you can phone it in.

Some auctioneers will allow a write-in bid. Give him your top bid and he SHOULD let you have it for $5.00 over the last live bidder, if it is below your upper limit. Sometimes, the auctioneer will allow you to phone it in direct to the auction house... Call the auctioneer and find out what options you have.

Your best chance at getting it at the price you want is to have a friend stand in for you and call you on cell phone when it comes up on the auction block. Best to call the auction house or visit it to see how phone reception is.

We... the damage is done...

I bought all three instrument in the picture I posted above...

Gibson 12 string 1969 B45-12 in near mint condition... came with a chip board case and still had the original tags and receipt. The 12 string was purchase in 1970 by the original owner and really never played. It sounds great and I think will only get better. The only thing is the e often comes out of the bridge groove when playing... I could easily fix this but do not want to alter the guitar in anyway unit I figure out which ones I want to keep.

Gibson Heritage 1968 excellent condition does have a slight crack 1/2 inch along the pick guard... not sure what to do about that. Tone of this guitar is good but it needs to be played and broken in... again original owner bought it and never played it. I have the original tags with a purchase price of $509 in 1968. Also come with a chip board case.

Also pickup the Orpheum #3 Tenor banjo... in amazing condition... a stunning instrument... great abalone inlay and carved heal. Sound great and is pretty fun for a manolin play to try and play.

Here is the dilema I feel I paid close to fair market value on all of these instrument (didn't get the deal of the century I was hoping for) so I can't afford to keep all three instruments. I've got to let one go ... I've got a wedding to pay for in August. I'm leaning toward selling the 12 string because it is the one I will play the least since I play mainly bluegrass.

Any recomendation on where and how to sell one of these instruments?

Thanks

Ian

We... the damage is done...

I bought all three instrument in the picture I posted above...

Gibson 12 string 1969 B45-12 in near mint condition... came with a chip board case and still had the original tags and receipt. The 12 string was purchase in 1970 by the original owner...yadda yadda yadda .... the only thing is the e often comes out of the bridge groove when playing... yadda³

Gibson Heritage 1968 excellent condition does have a slight crack 1/2 inch..yadda³

Also pickup the Orpheum #3 Tenor banjo... in amazing condition... a stunning instrument... great ... yadda³

So... the 3 gazillion dollar question. How much?

The e string (one of 2) pops out of the saddle groove? Saddles shouldn't be grooved. They do become grooved over time. You could either have the saddle re-fitted' date=' by sanding off the groove(s), while preserving the profile of the top edge of the saddle or have a new saddle installed. If you do the latter, splurge for a bone one and a bone nut as well. It could make the sale of it easier. Of all the things you can do to a guitar to get it ready for sale, this is probably one of the cheapest and will not affect the 'originality' of the guitar. Nuts saddles and strings are considered consumables, and not expected to be original on old guitars.

Any recomendation on where and how to sell one of these instruments?

Thanks

Ian

Maybe you could.... auction them? [confused]

Ebay or Craig's list come to mind.

Archived